Rear rotor size

Judge Smales

Question

0 answers to this question

Been through this many times here at the dealership.

Unfortunatley you have to measure the center hole,Theres no other way to tell,The VIN or GVWR will not tell us parts guys.

I can't believe GM doesn't know which rotors are on which trucks. I'm guessing they just put random ones on each one? I'm sure there wasn't an option of which rear end I got as it only came with the 4.10! Thanks GM for making me have to pull it apart just to find out what part I need.

I was told that there is no specs available for turning the rear rotors on a 02 HD 2500. That basically they were a one shot rotor. Is this true? Planning or should I say need to get the rears done but want to know beforehand

Unfortunatley you have to measure the center hole,Theres no other way to tell,The VIN or GVWR will not tell us parts guys.

I can't believe GM doesn't know which rotors are on which trucks. I'm guessing they just put random ones on each one? I'm sure there wasn't an option of which rear end I got as it only came with the 4.10! Thanks GM for making me have to pull it apart just to find out what part I need.

I did look into this once before and off the top of my head, it had to do with whether it was a HD or not. I think the HD gets the larger one, but don't go out and buy parts on my memory alone.

Maybe this will help... Document ID# 788620

2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brake Rotor Thickness Measurement

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Clean the brake pad lining contact surface of the brake rotor with denatured alcohol or an equivalent brake cleaner.

Using a calibrated micrometer measure and record the lowest thickness of the brake rotor at 4 or more points equally spaced around the rotor. Ensure that the measurements are only taken within the brake pad lining contact area and that the micrometer is positioned the same distance from the outside edge of the rotor for each measurement.

Compare the lowest thickness measurement recorded to the following specifications:

-

Specification -- Front Brake JC5/JH5

• Brake rotor minimum allowable thickness after refinishing 28.0 mm (1.10 in)

• Brake rotor discard thickness 27.50 mm (1.082 in)

-

Specification -- Front Brake JH6/JH7

• Brake rotor minimum allowable thickness after refinishing 37.0 mm (1.46 in)

• Brake rotor discard thickness 36.50 mm (1.437 in)

-

Specification -- Rear Brake JC5/JH5 Pickup

• Brake rotor minimum allowable thickness after refinishing 19.0 mm (0.748 in)

• Brake rotor discard thickness 18.50 mm (0.728 in)

-

Specification -- Rear Brake JH6

• Brake rotor minimum allowable thickness after refinishing 28.0 mm (1.102 in)

• Brake rotor discard thickness 27.50 mm (1.082 in)

-

Specification -- Rear Brake JH7

• Brake rotor minimum allowable thickness after refinishing 29.0 mm (1.142 in)

• Brake rotor discard thickness 28.50 mm (1.122 in)

If the lowest thickness measurement of the brake rotor is above the minimum allowable thickness after refinishing specification; the rotor may be able to be refinished, depending upon surface and wear conditions which may be present.

If the lowest thickness measurement of the brake rotor is at or below the minimum allowable thickness after refinishing specification; the rotor may not be refinished.

If the lowest thickness measurement of the brake rotor is at or below the discard thickness specification; the rotor requires replacement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 788620

2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Archived