Is this 0-60 normal?

ZOOMY

Hi guys, first off, I have a 2004 2wd ecsb w/4.8 and cap. I took the truck out with my G-tech, and at about 80+ degrees and high humidity, and hot pavement, it would only do a best of 9.25. That doesn't add up to how it feels or compared to my s-10. My 4.3 s-10 weighed about 1400lbs less, but was also only 180hp and yet it did a 7.8 0-60. I have read from others here and GM that my truck weighs about 4600lb. When I drive it, it takes less pedal accelerating than my s-10 did, yet somehow it comes up way slower. Is this normal or another victim of torque management. When you first start rolling, it kind of moans like the old quadrajets used to when they needed rebuilding. Once rolling , it isn't too bad. Any suggestions or info is much appreciated. Thanks. :cool:

Hi guys, first off, I have a 2004 2wd ecsb w/4.8 and cap.  I took the truck out with my G-tech, and at about 80+ degrees and high humidity, and hot pavement, it would only do a best of 9.25.  That doesn't add up to how it feels or compared to my s-10.  My 4.3 s-10 weighed about 1400lbs less, but was also only 180hp and yet it did a 7.8 0-60.  I have read from others here and GM that my truck weighs about 4600lb.  When I drive it, it takes less pedal accelerating than my s-10 did, yet somehow it comes up way slower.  Is this normal or another victim of torque management.  When you first start rolling, it kind of moans like the old quadrajets used to when they needed rebuilding.  Once rolling , it isn't too bad.  Any suggestions or info is much appreciated.  Thanks.  :cool:

It weighs more, has more drag and bigger tires and likely a 3.42 or taller axle with all adds up to slower 0 to 60. THe 4.8 is a good motor but you need some gear behind it if you want to scoot to 60 fast. With some 4.10 gear you would likely cut 1 to 1.5 second off of it and use higher octane fuel and you will likley get a little more too (less spark retard at WOT) . I would cal you current time good for a stock 4.8 in a big heavy truck/SUV

You cant compare a compact truck to a fullsize truck. My '99 Ranger had about 1/2 the power my F-150 has, but they were very similar in 0-60 time.

Id bet you have a lot more wheelspin off the line with your fullsize and because its heavier its going to be slower in a short race like that.

never checked my 0-60, but that seems a hair slow to me, you do have the ex. cab though. I am sure in some cooler weather you would do better too. Get your self a decent CAI, and a good tune. Those two things and some cooler weather and i bet your back into the 7's again.

Not sure about 0-60 but last summer in my all stcok 99 Sierra Reg Cab Short Box with the 4.8 I was running the 1/4 mile around 17.9@ 80mph. This is all stock, not even an air filter and at the time the truck had around 98,000 miles on it.

Archived