97 Sierra Oxygen Sensor

thegreeny1

Question

Hey everyone...I have a 1997 GMC Sierra with a 5.7 350. My catalytic converters are rattling awful bad and instead of replacing them i was hoping to get a little more sound out of my truck by punching them out. I was told that if i did this my truck would not run. I found these o2 sensor simulators on summit... http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku If I was to put these on would my truck run right or would i have problems. Thanks for your input

0 answers to this question

Hey everyone...I have a 1997 GMC Sierra with a 5.7 350.  My catalytic converters are rattling awful bad and instead of replacing them i was hoping to get a little more sound out of my truck by punching them out.  I was told that if i did this my truck would not run.  I found these o2 sensor simulators on summit... http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku  If I was to put these on would my truck run right or would i have problems.  Thanks for your input

You puch them out you will loose lower RPM torque and MPG in town because gas engine like a little bit of back pressure and simulator kinda defeat the perpose of a closed loop engine and MPG can suffer too from thid because the mixture will realy be right for conditons.

Have any of you running duals notice worse fuel mileage? I have a 97 with dual exhaust. it would be true duals because there are two cats on my truck. but anyway about a year after i put them on or maybe less than a year by check engine light came on. so i had the code checked but didnt say much... then had them clear the code. The light came back on probably 30 minutes later. Im begining to think that i blew the O2 sensor out or something running duals. Is this possible? also my truck doesnt get driven very much and the fuel mileage has really droped horribly. cant this be caused by a bad O2 sensor?

im no expert and it may not be the right thing to do, but from what i understand about it and my own experiences, the rear o2 sensors dont do anything except turn on your check engine light if the reading after the cat is out of spec, the computer does not adjust anything because of them like it does for the front o2 sensors. between myself and friends we have had numerous vortecs from 96-00, from 305 up to 454, and they all ran fine with no rear o2 sensors or convertors, and as far as losing low end with dual exhaust, bs, you wont get any type of noticable gain, but you wont lose aything either, ive got 3.5 pipes on my 97 454 and didnt lose anything and numerous 350s around here are running 2.5 true duels with no changes in performance good or bad, just sound.

Archived