Cold Air Intake

I've been considering an air intake for my 05 Sierra 1500 5.3 (aluminum) z71.

Which intake system do you use? K&N 77? Granatelli? Airaid?

I would like to know your experience with ease of installation, whether the thing shakes loose, quality, ability to keep mud/dirt off the cleaner element, and how the thing affected performance.

Let me know!

Marko in Fernie, BC

:confused:

Which intake system do you use?  K&N 77?  Granatelli?  Airaid? 

I would like to know your experience with ease of installation, whether the thing shakes loose, quality, ability to keep mud/dirt off the cleaner element, and how the thing affected performance. 

Let me know!

Marko in Fernie, BC

Well you already have cold air intake and they are several ISO test out there that prove that K&N's filter less and as far as performance increase it is nore a state of mind than anything. You engine is well tuned on intake anand K&N goes through a lot of effort to convince you that it is not. If it was that easy ti increase performnce and protect the engine, they would come that way from the factor given the HP and MPG wars that detriot is going thru. You money would be better spent elswhere.

I've had a K&N on my Tahoe for over 140K. I do not believe it adds any significant HP but it definitely improved throttle response and adds some nice sound IMO.

Regarding the dirt, I don't completely agree with those that claim they pass too much dirt. I have each oil change sent out for analysis and according to testing (stock prior to swap out and after intake), the K&N is doing no worse a job at filtering than the oem paper. I have never had dust in the intake either. In fact, Blackstone labs tells me my engine has wear patterns at 170K that look more like an engine with 30K on it. I have been running Mobil 1 synthetic since 5K. Having said that, I think it is probable that if not properly maintained, you can and will pass more praticulate matter. I clean and re-oil mine about every 15-20K. Overoiling can foul your maf sensor and underoiling can let in bad stuff.

Not looking to pick a fight with the testers or anybody else, just pointing out my experience. Were it not for the improved throttle response, I would have put it back to oem. One down side is in hot summer in slow moving traffic, you can get heat soak on the intake from underhood temps and that will drop performance. I do think without a better flowing exhaust, I do not think the intake is worth it as you need to free up both ends for it to be able to pump more air though the engine. It is after all a big air pump.

As for installation, took me an hour or so to install. I have not had any issues since installation except for cleaning/oiling. I do take the intake off every year to inspect and make sure everything is tight. and I visually inspect clamps at every oil change.

Let me know!

Marko in Fernie, BC

Well you already have cold air intake and they are several ISO test out there that prove that K&N's filter less and as far as performance increase it is nore a state of mind than anything. You engine is well tuned on intake anand K&N goes through a lot of effort to convince you that it is not. If it was that easy ti increase performnce and protect the engine, they would come that way from the factor given the HP and MPG wars that detriot is going thru. You money would be better spent elswhere.

Detroit puts the closed, restrictive intakes on to keep them quiet, not because it's the best for performance.

Sometimes quiet is good, sometimes loud is good. I lean to not messing with the intake but I love the sound of v8 dual exhausts.

Pretty sure the deity drives a 5.3 chevy with dual exhaust and good mufflers on company business of course.

Sometimes the intake side is just harsh.

ken

I just put an AEM Bruteforce on my 06 Sierra. It took my 25-30 minutes to install and was an extremely simple. I am very pleased with with the quality of the parts, the fit and the performance. Fuel mileage increased farily significantly around 3 mpg on the interstate and 1 1/2 -2 around town.. I took it out on the interstate for an couple hundred mile run and was getting 23 mpg. On the downside...with the increased intake roar increased mileage isn't a guarantee if you like listening to it scream! :confused:

I just got my magnaflow exhaust system today in the mail so hopefully i can get that installed this weekend!

Let me know!

Marko in Fernie, BC

:)

Detroit puts the closed, restrictive intakes on to keep them quiet, not because it's the best for performance.

Look at the HP and torque curves for any cold air intake system and you'll find that the marginal benefits are so high in the RPM range, you'll never notice the benefits. I don't know if I ever hit 4000+ RPM in my Yukon which is generally where you'll see the few HP increase. I'd save the money and stay with stock.

Archived