handling improvment

hi guys,,

i have a '05 1500 sierra rc/sb 2WD and want to improve the ride quality and eliminate the bumpy ride

is replacing the shocks will make any improvment

i'm talking about the KYB Monotube Shock (part #: 565016 & 565066) rears and front

thanks

Yeah, buy tires that rate highest for ride smoothness. Go to tirerack.com and look at the survey results. Don't bother asking your tire store which rides smoothest, they'll just sucker you into whatever makes them the most money.

Check your tire pressures as well. If you not towing or hauling heavy loads you can back off on the pressures and the you'd be surprized how much more comfortable the ride can get.

DEWFPO

Slightly lower tire pressure will help. Reflex will make it a little stiffer, but handle better. Put some weight in the back, a couple of sand bags. Like was mentioned earlier, swb trucks do ride worse just the nature of the beast.

thanks for the replies

well,, i did the "lower tire pressure" thing but still not as i want it to be.

the problem here is i want to eleminate the kicks when i hit a bump in the road on high speeds and the killing, un-controllable over steer when hitting a small bump on a curve,, the beast tryed to kill me previously and since that incedent i'm extra carful

i'll replace the tires soon but thinking of getting a wider wheels for a wider tires (running on the sh!tty generals 245 wide)

thanks

Gentlemen,

I completely agree with the tire pressure lowering. The door tag gives correct tire pressure for full loaded vehicle. The tire rating is almost always severly too high.

We rarely load our trucks, I never have any load in the box so the sticker pressure will louse up handling and ride badly.

Chevy used to put a chart in the owners manual stating that pressure needed to be adjusted in rear tires according to load.

i usually run sticker pressure up front and lots less in rear. At 25 lbs the rear tires are still round as a robin. The ride is greatly improved and the braking and handling are vastly improved.

Depending on the dust of your road or driving over a wet bit of pavement will show that the excessively inflated tires are not even making full contact with the road. Just a narrow spot in the center. This is no good, for anything.

If you remember it increase pressure when loaded, the rear tires of any pick-up can (and need to) be inflated much lower than sticker.

Ken

un-controllable over steer when hitting a small bump on a curve,, the beast tryed to kill me previously and since that incedent i'm extra carful

To me, that's half the fun of owning one. :seeya:

Another thing you could look at is adding a larger tire. A 255/75 or 265/75 will give a little more sidewall flex giving a little better ride. The 255s were a factory option, so the dealer could recalibrate the speedo for you.

You could replace your rear leaf springs with a spring with a softer rate.

Lowering the rear a little, like with a longer shackle, will transfer a little more weight over to the rearend, which might help as well.

Lowering the rear a little, like with a longer shackle, will transfer a little more weight over to the rearend, which might help as well.

I just put some bell tech lowering shackles on my GMC r/c s/b and it really helped out the ride. Its a lot smoother and solid. I highly recommend it.

thanks for the replies

well,, i did the "lower tire pressure" thing but still not as i want it to be.

the problem here is i want to eleminate the kicks when i hit a bump in the road on high speeds and the killing, un-controllable over steer when hitting a small bump on a curve,, the beast tryed to kill me previously and since that incedent i'm extra carful

i'll replace the tires soon but thinking of getting a wider wheels for a wider tires (running on the sh!tty generals 245 wide)

thanks

That's what happens with a solid rear axle :seeya:

I second this...See if you can find some Velvet Ride shackles...I don't know if Lord Corp still makes them though.

Every SWB reg cab I've had, I've used the 2" (or so) drop shackles on it, and it's greatly improved the ride.

Archived