Trailer Brake wiring 2007 Suburban

I am trying to wire a trailer brake in a 2007 Suburban. At first I was told that there was a connection for the wiring harness. Then I am told that there is not. Then I heard that the wires are stubed out above the parking brake. I cannot find any wires. I know that there are wires from the connector on the hitch going up to the front, but I can't find where they go to. Any help would be appreciated?? :)

I haven't seen the 2007 yet, but I would suggest looking for a plastic cover on the driver's side footwell, probably in the general area behind the parking brake. Thats where it was on 99-06 style. Underneath that cover should be a plug for the harness.

Hope that helps.

The '07's DO NOT have the trailer tow / brake controller modular plug (plastic box next to your left foot) like the older trucks had.

If you have the trailer tow pkg., you should find a set of wires bundeled together under the front carpet

As per GM Document ID# 1762159

the wiring schematics show 4 "BLUNT CUT" wires they are:

L-BU/WH -----------FEED FROM THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

RD/BK--------------FROM STUD 2 FUSE 36 (30A) FUSE PANEL UNDER THE HOOD

D-BU----------------TO TRAILER CONNECTOR(BRAKES ON TRAILER)

WH------------------GROUND

The '07's DO NOT have the trailer tow / brake controller modular plug (plastic box next to your left foot) like the older trucks had.

If you have the trailer tow pkg., you should find a set of wires bundeled together under the front carpet

As per GM Document ID# 1762159

the wiring schematics show 4 "BLUNT CUT" wires they are:

L-BU/WH -----------FEED FROM THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

RD/BK--------------FROM STUD 2 FUSE 36 (30A) FUSE PANEL UNDER THE HOOD

D-BU----------------TO TRAILER CONNECTOR(BRAKES ON TRAILER)

WH------------------GROUND

Must be another GM "shortcut"

• 1 month later...

I found the wire bundle under the dash and wired up my Prodigy brake controller correctly, however it still didn't work. I checked every fuse I thought was related to the brakes according to the owner's manual, but could not find a blown fuse. I finally broke down and took it into the dealer. They said it was hooked up correctly, however there is a wire (can't remember if it was 1 or 2) under the hood near or inside the main fuse box above the front driver side wheel well that must be connected and I think a fuse needed to be added as well. I could have killed someone.

I was wondering why the owner's manual did not mention this additional step? So I thought about it. I think the GM lawyers got involved with this decision. In the owner's manual on page 434 it states "It (the brake controller) should be installed by your dealer or a qualified service center." My thoughts are that GM had a do-it-yourselfer sue them after he did not install it correctly and wrecked. So to disuade owners from wiring the controller themselves, they left off the quick connector leaving the cut wires under the dash and left the wires loose at the fuse box so the controller wouldn't get power and you would be forced to take it to a qualified installer.

I wish I would have been able to watch how he connected the wiring, but they wouldn't let me in the service bay.

Here's a little more info. on this subject,This is from the March '06 issue of GM-Techlink...

Owners of the 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon may have questions about how to connect an electric trailer brake controller, or where the brake controller pigtail harness is located.

Starting with the all-new 2007 full-size utilities, there is no longer an electric trailer brake controller pigtail harness. The trailer brake controller wiring is now part of the I/P wiring harness, and the four blunt cut wires are located under the left IP.

Wire Color

Circuit

Number

Description

SI Document Number

Red/Black

12 V Power Supply

(30A Stud 1)

Dark Blue

Trailer Brake

Output Voltage

Not Shown

White

Ground

Light Blue/White

Stop Light Input

TIP: The red/black circuit 242 must be connected to Stud 1 (30 amp) of the UBEC. The wire is located between the left fender and the UBEC. Do not confuse this circuit with 742 (document 1706194) which is also red/black, and which is taped to the harness under the master cylinder. Circuit 742 is the 12 V supply to the 7 way trailer connector.

Archived