General transmission question

I have a 1993 G20 5.7 L with a 4L60E. I need a temporary tranny and want to know what years will work with this vehicle. Are all 4L60E the same? I am going to rebuild the origional myself and would like to get a junk yard tranny till I get the old one rebuilt. Then I will rebuild the junk yard tranny as a spare. Any help appreciated

My understanding is that yse, they are all the same. I believe the only difference is a few small differences inside the tranny. I just rebuilt my 4l60E and I had a good time doing it. I bought the book, and told the wholesale transmission parts people that I wanted to replace all the weak links in the tranny. They gave me everything I needed to do the job right. of course, I went above and beyond and replaced even the wiring harness and the seloniods. I also suggest a TransgoHDII kit.

My understanding is that yse, they are all the same.  I believe the only difference is a few small differences inside the tranny.  I just rebuilt my 4l60E and I had a good time doing it.  I bought the book, and told the wholesale transmission parts people that I wanted to replace all the weak links in the tranny.  They gave me everything I needed to do the job right.  of course, I went above and beyond and replaced even the wiring harness and the seloniods.  I also suggest a TransgoHDII kit.

What book? I want to grab a junk yard transmission and rebuild it. Would be fun I think and a good learning experience since I know NOTHING about transmissions.

I spent the $15 on the book and it saved me a lot of trouble. For instance, the thrust washers have to be inserted in a specific direction, there is a clip inside that needs to be installed in a specific way (that I did not pay attention to when I took it apart). Ther is a lot of good info in the book and the wealth of knowledge os worth the money.

Archived