Changing Door Handles

Well Im new to the site and need some help. My mom has a 2000 Suburban that she is getting ready to trade in and I am wanting to use her rear door handles on my truck because they are painted and dont have keyholes. Will they work since they dont have the keys holes, obviosuly I will have to use the key fob to unlock the truck but are the mounting points the same? My truck is a 2003 but it doesnt have the painted handles like hers does. Also will the rear hatch handle work where my tailgate handle is? I am mainly worried about how hard it is to remove the door panels and if there is any special tools I need. Thanks, Kyle.

Will they work since they dont have the keys holes, obviosuly I will have to use the key fob to unlock the truck but are the mounting points the same?

I personally wouldn't recommend that. What do you do when the battery dies in teh key-fob?

Welcome to GM-Trucks.com by the way!

well looks like a few things came up and she will be selling the truck outright so I need to find them online. Where are soem places that sells them? I looked on the GM site but they dont have black and the only place I foudn that did wanted $150 for the door handles (2) and $155 for the tailgate handle

If you know the part #s, I would try GMpartsdirect.com. On most stuff, they are considerably cheaper than you can get at the dealer. The main downside that I've found in them is that their shipping can be pretty expensive for small parts, which negates the savings on the actual part.

If you don't know the part #s, ask nicely on here, there are several guys who work in parts departments at dealers, and are usually more than happy to give you a part #.

Well I guess Im just going to get the set for a crew cab truck and use the rears/tailgate from it and then sell the fronts. Anyone know a place that sells the cab decals (like square LT or LS, but the Z71 4x4 off of a Tahoe)

I'm just curious, how do you plan to get into the truck WHEN the battery dies? The electric unlocks won't work, and the hood is locked (can't re-charge battery). Seems like it would be worthwhile to keep one key lock exposed, unless you have another plan.

In the early 70's the factory alarms would lock the hood of the car. If the battery went dead you had to power the car through the cig lighter hole with enough juice to activate the hood solenoid. I would strongly recommend that you put a plug or other hot point that you can access from outside the truck, as well as an incovenient but accessible unlock switch for when the battery or keyfob dies. Otherwise you may want to see if the door can be slim-jimmed. All electro-mechanical systems fail at some point, which is why everything crucial has redundancy built into the design.

Archived