Add Factory Keyless Entry (after the fact)

Hey all,

I just bought my first GMC truck! It's an 06 Canyon 4x4 and I love it, but one thing it didn't come with was keyless entry, and with the passanger door missing the outside lock(stupidest thing I've ever seen), I would really like to add Keyless enty, but I would prefer the OEM approach. Is this possible? I'm fairly "handly", so I would try and do it myself if I could find the parts needed (actuators and so on). Has anyone done this conversion or know where I can find info on it? Thanks in advance,

Cameron

No, not necessarily. If there is no factory power locks on the truck, you're going to be better off going with an aftermarket setup. I believe there are kits with actuators, the module, and remotes, for less than it would cost for just the factory module and actuators.

I went through this with my 02 Trailblazer, it had PDL, but no factory Keyless. I was able to change the tailgate module, which controls the PDL/RKE on the Trailblazer, and program it with the tech 2 to enable the RKE.

I would go aftermarket.

Dave

No, not necessarily. If there is no factory power locks on the truck, you're going to be better off going with an aftermarket setup. I believe there are kits with actuators, the module, and remotes, for less than it would cost for just the factory module and actuators.

I went through this with my 02 Trailblazer, it had PDL, but no factory Keyless. I was able to change the tailgate module, which controls the PDL/RKE on the Trailblazer, and program it with the tech 2 to enable the RKE.

I would go aftermarket.

Dave

Thanks for the input! Any brands to go for or stay away from??

cameron

Archived