A/C Blowing Hot Air!

jlh0799

Question

I have a 2002 Chev. Z71 Ext. Cab. Air conditioner is blowing hot air. Compressor will come on for about 3 seconds and then shut off. Then back on for 3 seconds.... and so on... and so on! I checked the pressure on the low end and it is ok.

Where do I go from here? Is it either the clutch going out or the relay?

Thanks,

0 answers to this question

rapid cycling suggests a low refridgerant charge or a problem with cyclingswitch....

First step in A/C repair get a set of gauges both HIGH and LOW on system

you must have both readings forget the walmart jiffy kit

Adding refrigerant until compressor never cycles is overfilling. an overfilled unit wastes fuel and produces warmer air along with potentially other problems.

Drain a bit out until unit cycles. It really will work better. You are probably very close to "liquid floodback" to compressor suction side and potential destruction of compressor. liquid doesn't compress.

Ken

Adding refrigerant until compressor never cycles is overfilling.  an overfilled unit wastes fuel and produces warmer air along with potentially other problems.

Drain a bit out until unit cycles.  It really will work better.  You are probably very close to "liquid floodback" to compressor suction side and potential destruction of compressor.  liquid doesn't compress.

Ken

Regardless of whether you are right or not on the first point (I was told by someone who does A/C work for a living), liquid DOES compress. Ever heard of a solid?

Overfill it. I have a friend that said the gauges are horribly inaccurate, and to fill the system until the compressor stays on. I was having the same problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I just kept filling it. Eventually, the compressor stayed on and it blows cold air now. Haven't had a single problem with it.

Im sorry to burst your bubble but a liquid cannot be compressed! Pressure applied to a liquid will be trasnfered equally in every direction , plane and simple.

Anyways, you need a manifold gauge set to check the pressures of the high and low side. Cant go any further until you know them.

Archived