I just bought a 99 GMC Suburban. The facorty radio quit working a week later, or so I thought. Everything operated, change tracks on cd, radio stations all of that, just no sound out of the speakers. Sometimes they would come on for a few minutes and then go off again. So I put in an aftermarket cd player and the same thing, no sound. I tested all of the wires and the speakers are giving me a signal at the cd players plug, but once I fire it up there is nothing but a spinning disc. Anyone know something I don't?

Thanks,

-Mike

Are the speakers coming on at all with the new head unit?

First make sure there is a good connection between the factory harness and aftermarket wiring. If you didn't cut off the factory harness, the connectors on the factory or aftermarket harness may not be seated properly. Try messing with the harnesses and seeing if the speakers come on. It also helps to use an ohm meter.

If that's not the problem, all I can say is use an Ohm meter to test the leads from the speakers. Touch the positive meter prong to a speaker's positive input and negative prong to negative input. If you get a low resistance, then I have no idea other than there being a problem between the factory wires and aftermarket head unit. If you have a very high resistance, pull out the speaker and test the resistance at the speaker terminals with the wires disconnected. If you get a low resistance now, the problem is in the wires leading to the speakers, check them for any broken connections or short curcuits. If you still have a high resistantance, the problem is mostly likely in this speaker.

I do have an ohm meter so I will gave that a shot. I tested all of the speakers the ghetto way and they all responded so it just seems weird that nothing comes out with the radio on. I thought maybe there was some sort of factory amp that I don't know about, but I'm coming up with nothing.

Thanks for the help I will let you know how it goes.

-Mike

So now I am very frustrated :cheers: All of the speakers pass the test from the ohm meter and if you touch a 9v battery to the positive and negative wires they all respond, but still no sound when the cd player is hooked up. I have been intalling car audio for 13 years and have no idea what could cause this. Any other suggestions besides building a stereo system from the ground up? (I plan on doing that in the future, but don't have the cash at the moment)

-Mike

It is the Delco am/fm/cassette with seperate cd player....

All I can find out is there may be a factory amp which controls the rear speakers, but if it doesn't control the front ones they would be playing right now.... :cheers:

Have you checked to see if you are getting voltage AT the speaker? I would just run aftermarket speaker wire to the speakers. Aftermarket wire is much more efficient and can in some cases make the sound clearer and more accurate.

Archived