couple of questions from the new guy

Been checking around on some Alcoas recently and was told that only the outside rim is needed on the rear of a dually (outside Alcoa- inside stock), is this the norm for anyone running aftermarket rims on their dually?  I assume my truck is a 1 ton (it has a 14 bolt full float axle), would this make it a 1 ton truck or are there other indications to check for?  Lastly, I have a GMC Sierra SLE 3500, can anyone tell me what the meanings are  of  "SLE and 3500"?  Any info is appreciated, I just recently bought this truck three weeks ago and am very new to the world of trucks if you can't tell already. :wink:

Welcome to the Forum.  I'll see if I can help you figure out a few things.  I don't know how dually guys place aftermarket rims, but it sure seems cheaper to buy 4 than 6, and if no one can see the inside wheel....

To answer 2 in 1, the 14 bolt isn't how you tell a truck is a one ton, but the "3500" is.  With Chevy's 1500 = 1/2 ton, 2500=3/4 ton, 3500 = 1 ton.   Also all dually's are 1 ton, and there are single rear wheel 1 tons too.

The SLE is a trim package, ie seat style and cover, power lock/window options, stereo, etc.  I'm not sure what the Sierra SLE on a '90 includes, but I think that package has all the bells and whistles.

Hope you're liking your new truck and will enjoy this site-

14 bolt full floating axles only came on the one tons, the three quarter ton trucks have 14 bolt semi-floaters on them.  All factory duallys are also one tons.  And like DigUout said, since you have a 3500 it is a one ton for sure.  

By the way, welcome.  Come visit us here in the HD forum often!

Quote: from Jpshostr on 5:27 pm on July 28, 2001

14 bolt full floating axles only came on the one tons, the three quarter ton trucks have 14 bolt semi-floaters on them.

Jp-

I thought the 2500 8 lug HD's came with the full floating and the 2500 6 lug came with the semi floating?  Or am I misinformed?

That is what I used to think, but then I read an article that proved me wrong.  There is a K2500 sitting in my driveway that has the semifloating axle under it, I took off the cap and checked.  The K3500 we used to have I did the same thing to and found the full floater.  

Yeah, they're right about the 1-ton indications.  Do you have to use the stock rim on the inside duals?  This would make tire rotations very expensive if you wanted to include the inside duals in the mix.  But I'm sure you could get away with only rotating the outside duals with the fronts; rotation is mostly to correct wear on the fronts, anyway.

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.  The reason I was asking about the rim setup is I had emailed a company called Southwest Wheel about a shipping quote for two front and four rear Alcoas, and the reply I had gotten from them said that only two Alcoas are "allowed" for the rear.  I met up with a guy this past weekend with a '92 3500 Chevy dually w/Alcoas, and sure enough he had the stock rims for the inners.  

(Edited by KENNE BILL at 8:16 am on July 31, 2001)

Archived