Clunk noise when stopping

Motorand

Question

0 answers to this question

I have not taken it in yet... but I do notice the noise every time I come to a stop, right before the truck stops moving. I only notice it once in a while when taking off. When it gets really cold out, I don't seem to hear it for a while until everything gets warmed up.

Yep, sounds like the infamous slip yoke clunk problem. Lubing it is easy and will give you the answer. Though lubing isn't always a permanent fix, it will fix it long enough to tell you if this is your problem or not. As mentioned, there's a new design nickle plated yoke for the 4WD (only) models that will probably be a more permanent fix.

Could be the infamous " slip yoke problem" that a lot of trucks have. Try pulling the driveshaft and greasing the slip yoke. If that doesn't cure it, there's supposed to be a nickel plated slip yoke that can be purchased from GM.

Yep, sounds like the infamous slip yoke clunk problem.  Lubing it is easy and will give you the answer.  Though lubing isn't always a permanent fix, it will fix it long enough to tell you if this is your problem or not.  As mentioned, there's a new design nickle plated yoke for the 4WD (only) models that will probably be a more permanent fix.

They don't make a plated yoke for the 2WD ? :confused:

Could be the infamous " slip yoke problem" that a lot of trucks have. Try pulling the driveshaft and greasing the slip yoke. If that doesn't cure it, there's supposed to be a nickel plated slip yoke that can be purchased from GM.

I'm experiencing this same subtle clunking from my 96 GMC Sierra 4x4 that I just bought from my father. It has 64k miles on it and does this when accelerating gradually (seems to clunk when upshifting between 2nd and 3rd (automatic)) and slowing to a stop. Does this sound like the "slip yoke problem"?

Scott

Does this sound like the "slip yoke problem"?

No, not really. The slip yoke problem only occurs right at the end of a stop or as soon as you take your foot off the brake to accelerate away from the stop. It does not occur at road speeds or during trans shifts.

But considering it takes about 10 minutes to pull the driveshaft and lube the slip yoke, it's worth the effort to see if it has any effect.

Awesome thanks for the info. I too have the exact same problem: clunk when getting into or out of the gas. It's only occasional, but I'll still try some grease and go from there.

So would hi-temp bearing grease work, or would it be worth it to go to Vatozone and ask for the specific grease. Is it likely they will even know what I'm talking about? Is it a "order from GMPartsdirect or a dealership" type thing? Thanks again.

So would hi-temp bearing grease work, or would it be worth it to go to Vatozone and ask for the specific grease. Is it likely they will even know what I'm talking about? Is it a "order from GMPartsdirect or a dealership" type thing? Thanks again.

Just about any hi-temp grease should work, though I don't know if it would last as long. The "Special Lubricant" (it's actual name) does have a part number, which I do not know, so I guess it's a GM only thing.

I recently purchased a 2002 Silverado 4WD 1500 extended cab. I have noticed that when I am coming to a stop, I will hear a clunk sound. I got under the truck and checked for play in the U joint, but it seems tight. Any ideas?    :confused:

Just my 2 cents:

I had a "clunk" sound in my 92 2dr yukon and it turns out the lower RT control bushings are bad.

Does it "clunk" back into position when you take off; or just when you stop?

Mine clunked while stopping then again when accelerating.

I suggest taking it to Les Schwab, they don't charge for diagnostic and estimates ;)

[

You have to drop the driveshaft. When you pull the shaft out of the trans to get it out, the thing at the end of the shaft that slides out of the tranny is the slip yoke. You'll see it has a big hole for the trans output shaft to go into. It's internally splined and this is where you put the grease. We have a special grease just for this purpose. I suppose you could try and hi-temp grease and it'd work, maybe just not for quite as long.

Thanks for the info!!

Does this sound like the "slip yoke problem"?

I recently bought a 2000 sierra 4WD and I too am experiencing a clunk from the rear end on take off, but there is also a squeak that I hear at about the same time that it clunks. Is it the slip yoke or could it be something else?

How do you lube the slip yoke... I don't even know what it is :confused:

You have to drop the driveshaft. When you pull the shaft out of the trans to get it out, the thing at the end of the shaft that slides out of the tranny is the slip yoke. You'll see it has a big hole for the trans output shaft to go into. It's internally splined and this is where you put the grease. We have a special grease just for this purpose. I suppose you could try and hi-temp grease and it'd work, maybe just not for quite as long.

Archived