Dash peeling on Silverado

There's a guy at my work that was asking me if I've noticed my dash peeling on my Suburban. He told me that he bought a 2003 Silverado used, about a month ago and one day when his wife had her foot up on the dash while they where driving he asked her to put it down and looked over at where her foot was and noticed the coating started peeling off and exposed black underneath. He said his dash is tan and when he rubbed his finger on it it rubbed off more. I asked him where on the dash and he said, right above the farthest right passenger vent, next to the "oh crap" handle. Well I suspected that the dash had been replaced with an aftermarket one, because I've always thought that the factory interior parts where the same color all the way through, not painted. But then again how could the dash be damaged. He told me that he did a carfax and it had not been in any accidents and he bought it from the original owner. Is it possible that some dashes, maybe the tan ones, could be black and painted to match? :)

Yellow,

Right now Carfax is in trouble because of giving a false sense of security when it comes to a vehicle being in an accident. Evidently Carfax doesn't have the capability of getting all accident information therefore they cannot "report" all accidents on a vehicle.

My old Mustang had a minor fender bender, there was an accident report and a ticket issued to the guy that hit me, Carfax said my car had no accidents or damage reported. We were told my daughters car had never been in an accident, but several mechanics that have worked on her car told me they had no doubt it was in a front end collision, they even showed me where.

The court has ordered Carfax to inform customers they may not have "all" information on a vehicle and that past customers that have used Carfax will now get a free month. I'm not sure if Carfax is appealing the decision or not.

If he has the previous owners number, I would contact him and ask.

Good luck!

I have a 2004 sierra and the same thing is happening to me on my grey dash. I had a bubble in the paint right against the windshield in front of the steering wheel. I touched the bubble and it just flaked off, revealing a black dash underneath. I took it to the dealer and they laughed at me when I asked them to replace it. They asked if I smoked and if I kept lighters on the dash. I do smoke and occasionaly throw a lighter onto the dash but remove it softly there after because of the sound it makes clanking the windshield. They told me that the lighter heats up in the sun and leaks butane onto the dash, bla bla bla.

Well I called GM and have a report on file to fix this issue. I will see what happens.

Both of my Z71s have done it. My old one had a tan interior and the paint was gone at the far left above the vent and headlight controls and also at the far right near the handle. The only place on the one I have now is at the far right near the passenger door. My cousin just used some touch up dye for his..

A friend of mine had a Chevy truck that had been in a rearender, the back tailgate and bumper were replaced as well as some of the parts on the bed and then it was in a huge hail storm where the cab was beat to, well you know....when he went to sell it, he pulled up a carfax report and neither incident appeared.

Bottom line is that CarFax should not be used to determine if the vehicle has been in an accident, as it appears to be a device whereby car dealers can use it to convince people the vehicle has never been in an accident.

I wonder if it matters weather it's garaged or sits out in the sun. I know the sun here in Phoenix does wonders for dashes. That's why I try to park in the garage as much as possible. Any of you that have had this happen park outside all the time?

Yes. I live in Buckeye, AZ. I know the sun had something to do with it, but its a nationwide problem. Harsh cleaners and sun make it worse though.

I wonder if it matters weather it's garaged or sits out in the sun. I know the sun here in Phoenix does wonders for dashes. That's why I try to park in the garage as much as possible. Any of you that have had this happen park outside all the time?

Yes. I live in Buckeye, AZ. I know the sun had something to do with it, but its a nationwide problem. Harsh cleaners and sun make it worse though.

So, do you think using Armorall on it will cause this to happen more? Nice truck, by the way.

Archived