What Happened to the Cold Start Knock Post?

appears to have been...really sorry to see it, I had at least a faint home someone in the know who monitors this page may have been able to inform us that GM really does care about delivering a quality product to its customers :exclaim:

Another moderator other than myself moved the post into the admin section last night I found out today.  We had several issues with several posts identical to this one in the past, so as a group we decided to remove these posts as they either surfaced from the past or were newly created.  As for why this was not explained by the moderator who removed this, I don't know, it is supposed to be policy for someone who does an action such as this to inform why it was done.

Hearsay evidence and conjecture without factual proof abound about cold-start knock. It gets "out there" at times. But, when GM or a represenative of GM makes a statement about it, it seems like that is important and may quell some of the internet rumors.

The annoying knock is one thing, but coincidental to the knock starting my engine is using oil.  In the first two oil changes the dipstick showed no oil used.  However, since the last oil change, and the beginning of the knocking, I've used 1/4 of a quart is 600 miles.

hello

Just got my 2001 back a few days ago from the dealer.  Its got almost 33k, and for the second time I've taking it in now for the engine 'ticking' and other problems.

This time, the dealer says that gm admits there tolerances were off in the manufacturing of the 6.0L and others, such as the 8.1, and the rest of truck v8's, which are ALL making the ticking noise in one form or another.

And yes, same old speach, 'this is does no harm to the longeivity of the engine' was said to me again.

As for oil, YUP!   Wait a little longer and see what happens.

I've been religiously changing my oil every 3k miles as it is a work truck and gets a lot of work.  I use valvoline 5w-30.   I've been noticing oil consumption on the rise over the past few changes, but this time...............WOW.  

Just for the #### of it, I checked my oil after 2500miles from the last, and wow...........just a DRIP on the stick!  I mean, there was just a 'speck' of oil showing on my stick.  I was shocked, and greatly upset.

I filled it immediatley, and it took almost 2 1/2 quarts to bring her back up.........and then I took my truck in for service.  

They say its a bad PCV valve............I'm sorry, but I don't buy it at all.   It may be a 'little' piece of it, but not the REAL reason.  

If GM wants to tell me that I SHOULD HAVE TO CHECK MY OIL EVERY DAY because of 'normal' oil usage, they can come and kiss my @#$.    This is rediculous.  If you can't drive 3k miles and have to worry about oil, then something is WRONG....period.

I'm really starting to wonder what to do.  The truck was a big investment, and quite frankly, my business is build around it.  Without it, I am ruined, and sorry.....I'm not dumping my hard earned money into a mistake that they made.

Dealer mentioned the idea of a engine swap, but really, what good does that do me?  They haven't said THERE is anything wrong with the current engine, and they haven't made any changes in the new ones.  What will stop the new one they put in from doing the same dam things?  On top of that, we all know how dealer engine swaps happen......its like once they take the original out, nothing is ever right again.

I losing my faith with this truck very quickly at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

swl2126.....Thanks for the info., first time I've seen some of it. The bottom line is, many of us have purchased a defective product which GM is apparently determined to ignore in the hope that this problem will eventually go away.  In a time when big industrial powers all across this country find themselved in the headlines for everything from book keeping fraud to producing defective products, wouldn't it be nice to deal with a company that when it makes a mistake would do its best to correct it?  Unfortunately, GM doesn't appear to be such a company. ???

We have a 2002 GMC 2500 HD with the 6.0 engine.  It has almost 7000 miles on it.  This past weekend while on a trip to the coast, we started up the truck  in the a.m. and had the knocking sound like a lifter was sticking.  After warming up for about a minute and giving it a little extra throttle, the knocking/ticking stopped.  The truck is going in for it's regular oil change at the dealer tomorrow along with some other work on an ongoing clunk sound that happens when we start out from a stop that they have not been able to fix. (This will be the dealer 3rd try) I guess I'd better start checking the oil level more frequently after looking at this  post.  Anymore info on it would be appreciated.

Took a 1500 mile trip from Kansas to Colorado last week.  Good News/Bad News.  Good:  no significant oil consumption.  Bad:  Cold Start Knock is louder and longer in duration.  Taking it to dealer #2 next week.

Archived