'93 Silverado- Locked Rear Wheels

I own a 1993 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.7L 350cid V8, 4X4, 5-spd.

The other day I fired her up, threw her in reverse and went to back out of my barn. I let out the clutch and it sat there for a split second w/o doing anything. I heard this loud clunck and then it moved. I didn't think much of it, w/ the cold weather I thought it was just the tranny kickin' in. I went and drove her around a bit and it kept stalling and would die. I'd fire her back up and it did that a few times. Acted like the E-brake was on but it wasn't. I looked in my mirrors and my back wheels weren't moving at all. It was in 4WD so the front wheels were dragin' the ass-end around. I backed her into my shed and parked it.

I took off the differential cover, expecting to find the spyder gears shattered, but everything looked fine. (by the way, it's not posi) I took off the wheels and drums and the brakes were also fine. I can't figure out what is wrong w/ it. My guess is the pins (I can't remember the name of them) that are in the axle are probably bent and causing the wheels to lock when in gear. I hear that's a common cause.

ADVICE!!! PLEASE!!!

BigFarmer

I don't know alot about diffs, but If you jack up the rear end and try turning one wheel by hand does the other move? Since you don't have the locker it shouldnt.... How about if you try and turn the driveshaft by hand? (I'm guessing you will want to put the tcase in neutral) Hopefully this can help narrow it down...

I've got the ass-end up on blocks right now. I've also got the wheels and rotors off. The wheels aren't locked when off the ground and out of gear. The one wheel turns when I turn the other... but in the opposite direction. When the wheels are on, they lock up. I'm gonna run some more tests and do more work on it and hopefully find out just what's going on.

Thanks for the advice!

My son had somewhat the same problem on his 94'and we went throught the rearend thinking that was it but could find nothing wrong , his i think was the left rear wheel that locked up , anyhow it ended up being in the brakes think he ended up rebuilding them ( adjuster , wheel cyl. , shoes etc.) anyhow that took care of it for him. but i know that the first thing we looked into was rearend it sure seemed like that was it and like yours everything look good . so really check the brakes out that might be why the turn with the drums off but not when they are on , hope this helps good luck .

Yeah, I still got her jacked up. I had a real tough time getting the drums off. When I finally did get them off, I couldn't get them back on. I messed around with the adjuster but that didn't do a thing so I bled the cylinder and that helped a little. I think maybe some water must of got in there and froze up w/ that cold weather I had by me. I'm gonna get them adjusters offand maybe the cylinders too and reolace them w/ some other ones I have. Maybe that'll do the trick.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, I took the brake assembly off. The adjusters were siezed up so instead of replaceing them I sprayed some PB Blaster on them and let it soak in over night. Then I cleaned them off and threw them back on. Then I bled all the brake lines and got all the air out of them. I had to go back and forth about 10 times to get them set just right but I finally got them set just right. I haven't had any problems with them since. Thanks for all the advice!

Archived