Key Fob And Memory Seats

GDSQDCR

Question

2004 GMC Sierra Crew Z71, SLE (Fully loaded minus sunroof). Current milieage 73K

Issue 1:

I bought the truck used at 60K, and when I bought it, a cool feature worked. I stuck Key 1 in, and the seats went to memory preset 1. Key 2, brough memory preset 2.

It quit working, so the dealer (under warranty) replaced the memory seat module.

A month later, I realized that it still did not work.

I brought it in today to fix, and now it is programmed to the FOB's and not the keys. The service advisor, (I will keep my unkind thoughts to myself), says that is the way it is suppose to work. He believes that I am wrong on how they use to function.

How do I make it work like it did before? I want it to work on the individual keys and not the remotes.

Issue 2:

The light bulbs are burned out behind my AWD and 2H switches. Is it simple to replace the bulbs? Same dealership said I had to replace the whole switch assembly for an ungodly amount of money.

Thanks!

Anthony

0 answers to this question

The "driver selection" feature in our 2004 Z71 Tahoe also never seemed to be right. Dealer did some reprogramming while the vehicle was under warranty, but we essentially quit worrying about the few times "driver 2" was in the vehicle. The seat position was most of the problem - would either not go back to the right driver, or would, worse yet, pull all the way forward once in a while. I now run the vehicle with seat position recall off as sparkstech mentions.

I believe there is no way to detect which actual key is being used. What I think happens is the car detects which key FOB unlocks the vehicle, with changes for that FOB invoked when a key is inserted into the keyswitch (I'm set for recall at key in). If the car isn't locked and unlocked between starts, no changes to driver settings are invoked.

Sparkstech

Thanks for the info. I have it programmed the way it was originally (and the way I like it) with the key in.

Klunkerbus.

Yeah, that was what was originally happening with my seat. The set would move all the way forward when you got it at times, would not do what it should do. I had the warranty still, so I brough it in. They eneded up replacing the memory seat module itself.

Both of you, thanks again.

As for my burnt out light bulbs, that sucks it is the entire module that needs to be replaced.

Thanks!

Anthony

The above post is correct. The key is NOT married to any driver. The keyless remote however, IS married to the driver number. I have an 04 Silverado SS and have tested this thoroughly.

When you unlock the car with driver #1 zapper, the computer knows it's driver #1 and the seat will respond however you have it programmed, either (1) no action, (2) seats move when zapper activates, or (3) seats move at key-insertion. It has no idea which key is which, it only knows a key has been inserted. And it only knows which driver is present by the zapper that was last used.

I reconfirmed this test last night. Program the DIC to set Seat Recall to Key-In. Unlock vehicle with zapper #1. The seat will go to Driver #1 setting even if you use the key attached to driver #2's zapper. Either key inserted after zapper #1 unlocks vehicle will move the seats to Driver #1 position. Same with zapper #2.

I believe you were never able to get the vehicle to respond differently to specific keys, only to key insertion AFTER specific zapper activation.

While we're on the topic, the number on the back of the keyless remote is only a visual reference. It has nothing to do with the actual driver number. The driver number assigned to the zapper is determined by the order in which the zappers are programmed. You can reprogram #2 zapper to be driver #1 and vice versa. Programming them is simple. Just do a search on this site or other truck sites for "program keyless remote". The first remote programmed is Driver #1, the next is Driver #2, etc. You always have to program all your remotes at the same time. If you don't, the remotes you neglect to program will no longer be recognized.

Hope this helps.

The light bulbs are burned out behind my AWD and 2H switches. Is it simple to replace the bulbs? Same dealership said I had to replace the whole switch assembly for an ungodly amount of money.

Not bulbs, led's and they are part of the assembly.

Issue 1:

There are functions on the DIC one should prompt memory at key in or with remote. Have you checked the owners manual?

Seat Position Recall Press the personalization button until SEAT POSITION RECALL appears in the display. To select your personalization for seat position recall, press the select button while SEAT POSITION RECALL is displayed on the DIC. Pressing the select button will scroll through the following choices:

SEAT POSITION RECALL OFF (default): The memory seat position you saved will only be recalled when the memory button 1 or 2 is pressed.

SEAT POSITION RECALL AT KEY IN: The memory seat position you saved will be recalled when you put the key in the ignition.

SEAT POSITION RECALL ON REMOTE: The memory seat position you saved will be recalled when you unlock the vehicle with the remote keyless entry transmitter.

Choose one of the three options and press the personalization button while it is displayed on the DIC to select it and move on to the next feature. For more information on seat position recall see Memory Seat .

Archived