Should My Front Drive Shaft Spin Freely In 2wd?

Hey everyone,

The last few oil changes.....while I was under my truck, ive noticed that I cannot spin my front drive shaft by hand. Feels engaged. My 4wd works just fine though. So I decided to check a few things out.....I dropped the shaft off of the front diff and it spins fine.....so this tells me its not engaged at the transfer case....I put it back on the diff and removed it from the transfer case and I cannot spin it.....so seems like front diff is engaged.......is this how its supposed to be????

If not what controls the front diff actuating?...I know there is a front diff actuator in the diff but what controls that?......where should I start to look?

Thanks very much!!

Hey everyone,

The last few oil changes.....while I was under my truck, ive noticed that I cannot spin my front drive shaft by hand. Feels engaged. My 4wd works just fine though. So I decided to check a few things out.....I dropped the shaft off of the front diff and it spins fine.....so this tells me its not engaged at the transfer case....I put it back on the diff and removed it from the transfer case and I cannot spin it.....so seems like front diff is engaged.......is this how its supposed to be????

If not what controls the front diff actuating?...I know there is a front diff actuator in the diff but what controls that?......where should I start to look?

Thanks very much!!

I believe that's the way it's suppossed to be. When you actuate 4wd, you're doing it at the transfer case, and then the shaft is locked into the front diff. making it now become 4wd.

It is the same way that jeeps are set up. Your truck is in "4wd" all the time...another words your front in is engaged with out power. When you switch to 4wd, your tcase transfers power to your front axle.

With the drive shaft unhooked from the transfer case and the truck in 2WD you should be able to turn the shaft. If you have autotrac the actuator is disengaged in 2WD and engaged in Auto. On manual 4x4 the actuator is engaged at the time four wheel drive is engaged.

I would check out the actuator for being stuck.

Guest Riggs

well if you have auto 4wd is will always be "engaded" but may not give any power to front wheels all the time

It is the same way that jeeps are set up. Your truck is in "4wd" all the time...another words your front in is engaged with out power. When you switch to 4wd, your tcase transfers power to your front axle.

No, I dont think thats how its supposed to be......there is a front differential actuator......if the front diff was supposed to be always engaged i dont think there would be an actuator.

With the drive shaft unhooked from the transfer case and the truck in 2WD you should be able to turn the shaft. If you have autotrac the actuator is disengaged in 2WD and engaged in Auto. On manual 4x4 the actuator is engaged at the time four wheel drive is engaged.

Thats what I thought.......I replaced the actuator and the dash switch and its still seems to be in the engaged position......what signals the actuator to engage and disengage?.......when I switch my dash switch to 4wd I can hear the transfer case motor engage but not the front diff actuator........does it get its signal form the transfer case?..........anyone know which wire on the actuator plug I should be checking for power when engaged?

Thanks....much appreciate.

Thats what I thought.......I replaced the actuator and the dash switch and its still seems to be in the engaged position......what signals the actuator to engage and disengage?.......when I switch my dash switch to 4wd I can hear the transfer case motor engage but not the front diff actuator........does it get its signal form the transfer case?..........anyone know which wire on the actuator plug I should be checking for power when engaged?

Thanks....much appreciate.

Anyone have any ideas on where or how to trouble shoot this?

Archived