'04 Tahoe Oem Cd Issue...

Hey guys...first post!

After 5 years, went to start the Tahoe but battery was dead. I decided to replace and all was fine, except when I decided to play with the radio. All functions work except for the CD player. At first access, I get an "Initializing" message. After about 15 mins, the message was still there so I started to check the other sources (AM, FM, SATs, etc). All work fine but the CD player does not play or recognize the three that are installed. Eject and Load do no good either.

Can the overnight low voltage on the radio fubar the CD player? Any ideas as to what to try. I am not in the market for a new radio (yet!), so I'd like to try and get this thing working.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've never had a battery going dead fubar a radio or CD player like that. Any idea why the battery died?

What I would be this. Shut off all accessories (radio, etc), then disconnect the battery, wait 5 mins, reconnect the battery. This may reset things.

I have read that disconnecting the battery while the radio or entertainment units are turned on can cause damage to them.

Oh right! Hi there and welcome to GM Trucks! :sleep:

Thanks for the welcome! I had a nice lifted '95 4door Tahoe till about 170k miles when I decided it was time to let it go. The '04 has been great and relatively problem free for the past 4 years...I have been real happy with it with no complaints at all. The battery is 4 years old and died after I spent time cleaning it out. It is possible I had a dome light on overnight, but when I tried to start in the morning, it was dead. I probably could've jumped it, but considering the age of the oem batt plus it's my wife's daily driver, I decided to replace.

As for the CD, I disconnected the battery for 10mins or so but the CD player still does not work. More specifically, it is not recognized...I cannot even choose the CD player when changing sources. Finally, when I press and hold the Eject button, I get the "No Discs" message although there are three CDs in there.

More ideas are welcomed, but I think it is time for a replacement...maybe an OEM navi. I will have more questions if I go aftermarket.

Thanks!

It does seem like for some reason your CD player is fubar'ed and possibly the head unit itself. Bummer. :sleep:

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas other than finding a new CD to see if that works. You should be able to find one pretty cheap on eBay.

I think you should be able to add a GM navigation unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Might call the dealer and see what they have to say. Maybe the unit just needs reprogramming. Could have corrupted its memory, and it is now dumb. Worth a shot...

If you decide to replace it, let me know. I might be interested in buying it.

Archived