Emission Code P0446

Truck Specs: 2005 GMC 1500 4WD with 5.3L V8 Engine. Fuel Injected with Automatic 4 speed transmission. 28,500 Miles.

Problem: Approximately 3 months ago I received the SES light with a P0445 Code (gross evap leakage) on my way home from camp (dirt roads). After I reset the code a few times it always came back before I eventually blew out the EVAP vent valve with compressed air. I got a pretty good amount of dirt to come out of it. I thought the problem was fixed. I also replaced the gas cap.

Now I'm getting P0446 code for circuitry trouble.

Before I go throwing parts at this thing, I'd rather get an honest opinion of what the problem could be. I'm mechanical inclined enough to replace the parts myself I'd just like to save a few trips to the dealer. I do usually fill the truck up with gas as full as I can get it - which leads me to believe that the EVAP canister is probably full of mud & gas.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Truck Specs: 2005 GMC 1500 4WD with 5.3L V8 Engine. Fuel Injected with Automatic 4 speed transmission. 28,500 Miles.

Problem: Approximately 3 months ago I received the SES light with a P0445 Code (gross evap leakage) on my way home from camp (dirt roads). After I reset the code a few times it always came back before I eventually blew out the EVAP vent valve with compressed air. I got a pretty good amount of dirt to come out of it. I thought the problem was fixed. I also replaced the gas cap.

Now I'm getting P0446 code for circuitry trouble.

Before I go throwing parts at this thing, I'd rather get an honest opinion of what the problem could be. I'm mechanical inclined enough to replace the parts myself I'd just like to save a few trips to the dealer. I do usually fill the truck up with gas as full as I can get it - which leads me to believe that the EVAP canister is probably full of mud & gas.

Any opinions? Thanks.

You might try blowing out the EVAP canister. It has worked for me.

Just FYI, it is my understanding that only certain "Major Emissions Components" are covered for 8YR 80K miles. These include { Catalytic Converter, OBD Computer, ECU}. The rest of the emissions components are only covered for 2 years or 24K miles by the EPA warranty or longer by the bumper-to-bumper MFG warranty.

There is a TSB concerning P0446, you should be able to find a lot of information with a quick search.

Archived