Dual Battery kits

My '96 had a storage compartment under the hood where a second battery could be ordered as a factory option.  Have you considered visiting the dealer to see if they have a mounting tray and wiring harness that will plug right into your stock truck?  That would be the cleanest most certain installation.

Jeff

How much did that run you with installation?

Does that have the option to switch the batteries into different modes?

I have been looking at the painless wiring setup for ?.  I can take out the storage compartment on the drivers side and fab up a battery mount with an old battery tray that I have.  

If I remember correctly, it was in the ? range, but they installed all the wiring all the way back to the trailer electrical connector (real nice job too), along with the auto-reset circuit breakers. It is set up so that the truck won't crank from from the aux battery, but it charges while the engine is running. I'm not sure what you mean by "swith the batteries into different modes." Needless to say, having a second battery makes it very easy to jumpstart the main battery if the need ever arises.

By different modes I assume you mean something like a marine/boat battery setup (something I actually know something about!) where you can draw from one or the other or both at the same time by use of a selector switch mounted somewhere in the cabin?

I spoke with the dealer and they quoted a price of ? for parts. I can get the wiring kit from painless wiring for ?.  Installation is no problem.  I just need to mount the battery.  I have the underhood storage box which I plan to remove.  Will I be able to mount the second battery to the mount for that storage box or will the battery be too heavy?

I'm not sure what your storage box mount can hold. Does the mount not come included with the parts package from the dealer? I would ask them about the storage box mount capacity, and/or if a special mount comes with the package.

Archived