Sts On 5.3l 2001 Silverado 1500

well i think the topic cleared up most of it...i have a 2001 silverado 1500 2wd with the 5.3l. I am thinking about getting the STS system. I do not go off road, and for the water I am planning to get the snorkel. I have searched and read these forums and know that there is alot of controversy among you all about it. I do not want to start the debates over again. What I am need to know, is what else to upgrade? I will only be boosting 5psi, which should get me up to ~320 rwhp. I have read in other places, that I do not need to worry about pistons and rods and other components until I go over 400hp. How true is that? Also, do I need to upgrade the fuel system? You know, the fuel pump and injectors. And finally, my drivetrain. Can my stock transmission and rear end support the 320 rwhp?

As for the internals, Is the motor well taken care of? If so, you shouldn't have any problems. The LS engince can take some punishment. The fuel system should be ok, for what you as wanting. The transmission, will be the first thing to go. If you do not constantly abuse it, it may hold up for a while.

As for the internals, Is the motor well taken care of? If so, you shouldn't have any problems. The LS engince can take some punishment. The fuel system should be ok, for what you as wanting. The transmission, will be the first thing to go. If you do not constantly abuse it, it may hold up for a while.

yes i have taken care of the motor...consistent oil changes, ect...i had to put a new trans in last year...so that is as good of shape as it can be...i had to replace it cause something clogged a tube or something inside of the trans and it overheated...i could have paid $1600 to rebuild it, or $2200 for a new one with 3 year, 36k mile warranty...i went for the new one

I just recently supercharged my truck, and was told my stock pump would handle up to 5 lbs boost, and not much more could it deliver after... However i changed the pump anyways, walbro makes a pump GSS342*, that can be installed into your sending unit with little modification, and on my truck the stock regulator handles it well. I also upgraded my fuel injectors 50% above the OEMS, they were 19# and are now 42#, running a custom tune and everything is working well, I`m not to familiar with STS if they have auxillary injectors or programming, but a custom ECM tune can easily do what ever you want.

If you plan to do more after 5lbs later on these little upgrades might be a good idea.

I agree on the trans, it may not appreciate your need for speed!

Archived