2001 Silverado - Blend Door Actuator Replacement

coglonr

Question

My Silverado HVAC system constantly jams on hot air output - regardless of whether the AC is on or off. I have come to the conclusion from other posts that the problem is in the blend door actuator. Does anyone have instructions, diagrams, pictures on where the actuator is, how to get at it, and how to replace it?

0 answers to this question

You can get this information in a factory service manual set for your specific year/model vehicle (order from GM dealer). This will give you detailed instructions for replacement (as well as troubleshooting instructions for that and anything else on the vehicle).

Thanks. One other question. My heater sometimes locks on hot air. It used to be that turning the truck off for a spell and re-starting would re-set things. Now, the problem is becoming more frequent - and turning the engine off for a spell does not re-set. Based on other posts, I came to the conclusion that the problem was the blend door acuator - but on further reading, sounds like it may be the HVAC module. Can anyone provide any insight?

Well that is like saying...

"I have a light switch and a light. When I turn on the light switch, the light does not come on."

The problem could be the light bulb, the lamp socket, the wiring, a plug, or a bad light switch. You would need to try replacing the bulb. If that did not work, do a bit of testing with a multimeter to find where the problem is.

Basically you need to "see" what is going on. With the factory wiring diagrams, you could determine what wires go between the HVAC module and the blend door actuator. And if you are knowledgeable about electrical things, you could determine how this works. Then you could set up something to monitor those wires. Maybe a multimeter connected to certain wires. Then see if in fact the HVAC module is sending the correct signals to the actuator when it should or if there is no signal.

And you could compare this with the air coming out. Did the air change like it should have. Then if you saw that the electrical signals were there as they should be, but the air did not change, you could conclude that the actuator is at fault.

So just need to do some testing/troubleshooting to find the problem.

You can get this information in a factory service manual set for your specific year/model vehicle (order from GM dealer). This will give you detailed instructions for replacement (as well as troubleshooting instructions for that and anything else on the vehicle).

Archived