Setting New Tpms Sensor

cerbomark

if i have a set of winter tires and buy a complete set of summer wheels and tires and each set has its own tpms sensor what do i have to do each time i switch them? Will the first time buying a used set with tpms be the same procedure? I guess i want to know if i need a tech or can i learn the new set myself?

you can do it yourself, its the same procedure as in the manual. I have done new ones many times.

First...go to each wheel and remove the valve stem caps, your gonna have to move fast between tires so any prep work you can do will help you during the process.

Get a tool that you can use to let some air out of the stems.

1) Set parking brake

2) turn key to on but DO NOT start.

3) take remote and press lock and unlock at the same time till the horn honks.

4) go to driver side front and let air out (approx 5-15sec) till horn honks once.

5) go to pass side front and let air out (approx 5-15sec) till horn honks once.

6) go to pass side rear and let air out (approx 5-15sec) till horn honks once.

7) go to drivers side rear and let air out (approx 5-15sec) till horn honks TWICE.

8) now they are programmed

9) recheck air pressure and set to whatever you need.

10) re-install valve stem caps.

If you have a DIC, there is an option in there to begin the relearn process as well. Also, one of your vehicle's lights on each corner will illuminate to show which tire you should be setting.

Be patient and do let the air out for up to the entire 15 seconds. My old Sierra used to take 10-15 seconds one each tire every time. It'll seem like you are letting out too much air but that's what it takes.

Another option would be to just stop by your local tire shop and ask them to use their TPMS tool which makes this about a 2-minute job. :lol:

Yeah, each time you change wheels and tires, you'll need to relearn.

Even if you put the new wheels on and it shows tire pressures, that's still the old set in memory or the old set near the vehicle. My old truck used to pick up my stock wheels out in the mini barn until I'd reset it for the after market wheels on the actual truck.

When doing the procedure outlined above, my first tire would take about a minute to make the horn chirp, then the rest of the tires will trigger the chirp in about 5-10 secs of air bleeding.

You have do this procedure when you rotate the tires also. I always do it with a air supply at hand, of course. This procedure probably drives the "dry nitrogen" guys bananas. :(

I had new tires installed today on my 08 GMC which run at a higher pressure than the stockers. On my way home a message would flash saying check my right rear tire pressure. A few miles down the road it said check my front right pressure. This happened a few times in about an hour alternating between front right & rear right tires. If I follow the above procedure should this solve the problem? If so, is the air pressure important during any part of the above procedure?

yes, and you do need enough air in the tires to let some out, i wouldn t startwith less than 25 psi or so just so when you let some out the tire isn t flat. mine had 35 psi when i started and when it re set i filled them all back to the 35 psi i wanted. it s easier than it looks. thanks to the above directions.. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
I had new tires installed today on my 08 GMC which run at a higher pressure than the stockers. On my way home a message would flash saying check my right rear tire pressure. A few miles down the road it said check my front right pressure. This happened a few times in about an hour alternating between front right & rear right tires. If I follow the above procedure should this solve the problem? If so, is the air pressure important during any part of the above procedure?

As you have probably found out by now, re-learning the TPMS sensors will not correct the "check ____ tire pressure" warning flashing on the DIC. This is because the software has an upper pressure limit of around 45 psi programmed into it. So, whenever you startup, the warning will flash until you push any of the DIC buttons or odometer stem, twice within a couple seconds, which will extinguish the warning and return you to the regular DIC program information.

Archived