99 Silverado Door Lock Problem

PONDER

when i am driving down the road, my truck automatically locks the doors when i get to about 15 mph and it is supposed to unlock when i stop and put the truck in park, but it does not. i have to manually unlock the door everytime. i was thinking it is a fuse, but i cannot find it. anyone ever had this happen? solution?

Actually if I remember correctly from the '99 I had,It is not suppose to automatically unlock when you stop and put it in park,That was one of things I hated about my '99. If it would have unlocked I wouldn't have minded it.

I had the automatic lock feature turned off on it,But in order to do that you had to have the dealership do it using the TECH2.

Actually if I remember correctly from the '99 I had,It is not suppose to automatically unlock when you stop and put it in park,.

That was a peeve of mine also about my 99. Because it is the first year of that body style it has some oddities that were changed the next year. Another one that I hated was the auto headlights could not be turned off by pressing the dome override 4 times. Try explaining that one to the MP's at the gate when pulling into base at night!

Well, my 99 GMC does the same thing... I guess I have just got use to reaching down and click the unlock button in the 166,000miles or 5,000hrs I have drove that truck.... It is quite funny you bring that up because I had to go drive me truck around at dinner just to see if the blessed doors locked. It had become second nature and given that I was going to have to unlock the doors or something because I had forgot.

Oh well, at least my side mirrors when I put my truck in reverse do not pop down and look at the parking lines. That has to be the stupidest thing ever. I use them things to back in parking spots (I usually back in its way easier in straight parking aka || not \\)..... Way to go Ford, my sister has a 04 Expedition that does it seems like every year on vacation I nearly wipe out a fender or 2.

Jbo

Oh well, at least my side mirrors when I put my truck in reverse do not pop down and look at the parking lines. That has to be the stupidest thing ever.

Jbo

I love that feature, you can set how far it tilts down. Its called curb assistance. :lol::cheers:

Oh well, at least my side mirrors when I put my truck in reverse do not pop down and look at the parking lines. That has to be the stupidest thing ever.

Jbo

I love that feature, you can set how far it tilts down. Its called curb assistance. :lol::cheers:

I knew you could shut them off in my 08, but didn't know you could adjust the tilt angle. Hmm, I may activate them again for a try in my LTZ.

My 99 locks the doors but never unlocks unless I do it with the doorlock switch myself. Got to be second nature to unlock them until I started driving the 08 for the last 9 months. Now, I have to think about it again.

Jbo

I bet you even turn and look to back out of a spot or to back a trailer...... I DON'T!!! Just use your trusty right and left mirror and briefly look to see if any one is coming prior to backing then go totally mirror only and back up with those stupid mirrors pointed down. Its a sure fire way to remove fenders with a chrome bumper.

I back trailers with mirrors and back in and out of spots with mirrors.

I am not a 18 wheeler driver just had a long conversation with one about mirrors once and he is right THEY DO NOT LIE. A picture is worth a thousand words and u get 3 of them in a pick up truck, that is 3000 words.

L8r,

Jbo

look in your manual you can turn them off yourself i have done this on previous trucks . Just go to the door lock section of the manual and it will tell u how to do it.

Not on the '99s,You must use the TECH2,The 2000-up trucks you can...

1999 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 640380

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#99-08-64-003A: Info - Disabling Automatic (Rolling) Door Lock Feature - (Sep 27, 1999)

Subject: Disabling Automatic (Rolling) Door Lock Feature

Models: 1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Models (Silverado and Sierra)

Some owners of the above vehicles may want to have the Automatic (Rolling) Door Lock feature disabled (turned off).

You can disable the Automatic (Rolling) Door Lock feature by either recalibrating the Body Control Module (BCM) or with the self-- programmable function. Use the following procedures:

Model Year 1999 (VIN X)

Important: The feature may be turned off and covered under warranty if the vehicle is under the 3/36 timeframe on a one-time only basis.

*The system can be re-enabled (turned on) again at customer expense*

Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle.

Select Service Programming from the Tech 2 main menu screen.

Identify the vehicle (year, type, fuel system).

Select Request Information (left soft key).

Select Reprogram Existing Module. Verify the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Disconnect the Tech 2 from the vehicle.

Connect the Tech 2 to the Techline Terminal. Follow the terminal instructions.

Select Service Programming System from the main menu.

Select Terminal to Tech 2 as the programming method.

Select Program Truck Body Controller.

Select Calibration with Automatic Door Lock Functionality Disabled.

When the action is complete, disconnect the Tech 2 from the terminal.

Connect the Tech 2 to the vehicle again.

Select Service Programming from the Tech 2. Complete the vehicle ID.

Select the Program soft key (second from the left). When the Programming Successful screen appears, press the Exit key.

Disconnect the Tech 2.

Road test the vehicle in order to confirm that the recalibration was successful.

Model Year 2000 (VIN Y)

Important: Reprogramming this function for customer preference is not warranty. Please instruct the customers to refer to their Owner's Manual operator instructions or refer to below instructions.

Beginning with the ignition in OFF position, pull back on the turn signal/multifunction lever all the way toward you and hold it while you perform the next step.

Turn your key to ON and OFF twice. Then with the key in OFF position, release the turn signal/multifunction lever. Once you do this, you will hear the lock switch lock and unlock.

You are now ready to program the automatic door locks. Once you release the turn signal/multifunction lever you will have ten seconds to begin programming. If you exceed the ten second limit the locks will automatically lock and unlock to indicate that you have left the program mode. If this occurs, to continue programming your locks go back to step 1 above.

The following is a list of the available programming options:

• All doors lock at 24 km/h (15 mph), only driver's door unlocks when key is removed: Press the LOCK side of the power lock switch on the door panel ONCE, and then the UNLOCK side ONCE.

• All doors lock at 24 km/h (15 mph), all doors unlock when key is removed: Press the LOCK side of the power lock switch on the door panel ONCE, and then the UNLOCK side TWICE. (This is the factory setting)

• All doors lock at 24 km/h (15 mph), none of the doors unlock when key is removed: Press the LOCK side of the power lock switch on the door panel ONCE, and then the UNLOCK side THREE TIMES.

• No doors lock at 24 km/h (15 mph), none of the doors unlock when key is removed (Turns off automatic lock feature): Press the LOCK side of the power lock switch on the door panel TWICE.

You can exit the program mode any time by turning the ignition to ON. The locks will automatically lock and unlock to indicate you are leaving the program mode. If the lock/unlock switches are not pressed while in the programming mode, the respective auto lock/unlock setting will not be modified.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the following information:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

N8510

(MY 1999 Only)

BCM - Reprogramming (On-Vehicle)

0.3 hr

This is a unique labor operation number for use only with this bulletin. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Jbo

I love that feature, you can set how far it tilts down. Its called curb assistance. :cheers::lol:

I knew you could shut them off in my 08, but didn't know you could adjust the tilt angle. Hmm, I may activate them again for a try in my LTZ.

My 99 locks the doors but never unlocks unless I do it with the doorlock switch myself. Got to be second nature to unlock them until I started driving the 08 for the last 9 months. Now, I have to think about it again.

Turn on the feature, then put the truck in reverse, and adjust the mirror to what view you'd like to see, then press the save button for driver 1 or 2. Then it's set. :lol:

• 5 years later...

Archived