Headlight Problem

My friend has a 2002 GMC Yukon XL with 190,000+ miles on it. Today he explained a problem to me that after searching the forum I cannot find a similar post.

Anyway, he said said that when he starts the vehicle (auto headlights are now on) the parking lights will come on but the headlights may or may not come on. When he moves the steering column he can get the headlights to come on and off in varying positions. In all cases, the parking lights will remain on so this is only affecting the headlights themselves. Any ideas? My first thought is the multi-function switch/lever. But I guess it could be a wiring problem in the column itself.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My friend has a 2002 GMC Yukon XL with 190,000+ miles on it. Today he explained a problem to me that after searching the forum I cannot find a similar post.

Anyway, he said said that when he starts the vehicle (auto headlights are now on) the parking lights will come on but the headlights may or may not come on. When he moves the steering column he can get the headlights to come on and off in varying positions. In all cases, the parking lights will remain on so this is only affecting the headlights themselves. Any ideas? My first thought is the multi-function switch/lever. But I guess it could be a wiring problem in the column itself.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is he sure it's not the DRL's instead of the parking lights? I'd check the sensor on the dash for proper operation first. What kind of movement w/ the column does he say causes the lights to switch on/off? Does it happen everytime he moves the column or just randomly? The multifunction lever controls the dim/brights but that's it at least in my 02 silverado. My lights (either DRL's or headlights) won't come on either until the vehicle is placed into gear after it is started.

Is he sure it's not the DRL's instead of the parking lights? I'd check the sensor on the dash for proper operation first. What kind of movement w/ the column does he say causes the lights to switch on/off? Does it happen everytime he moves the column or just randomly? The multifunction lever controls the dim/brights but that's it at least in my 02 silverado. My lights (either DRL's or headlights) won't come on either until the vehicle is placed into gear after it is started.

Definately the parking lights - the amber lights, not the clear ones.

Any movement up or down of the column, using the tilt lever.

It used to be random but is beginning to be more regular.

The headlights have always come on, assuming it is dark enough, when the vehicle is started. It never has required that it be put into gear before the lights would come on. In any case, the problem is occuring with the truck in and out of gear. Putting it into gear does not make the headlights come on.

Added note: Operating the headlights manually via the switch on the dash does not work either. The steering column has to be moved (tilted) to get them to come on.

The headlights have always come on, assuming it is dark enough, when the vehicle is started. It never has required that it be put into gear before the lights would come on. In any case, the problem is occuring with the truck in and out of gear. Putting it into gear does not make the headlights come on.

Added note: Operating the headlights manually via the switch on the dash does not work either. The steering column has to be moved (tilted) to get them to come on.

You're going to need some wiring diagrams.....good luck w/ that LOL. Keep us posted.

• 1 year later...

I have a 95 3500 and have the same problem. With the truck running the DRL come on. I turn on the headlights on with the switch and if I tilt the wheel the main running lights will go off or back on depending on the position of the wheel. I have a new lever to install as I was told this is the problem. How difficult is it to change the lever? Any instruction would be much appreciated.

I have a 95 3500 and have the same problem. With the truck running the DRL come on. I turn on the headlights on with the switch and if I tilt the wheel the main running lights will go off or back on depending on the position of the wheel. I have a new lever to install as I was told this is the problem. How difficult is it to change the lever? Any instruction would be much appreciated.

I just did one on a 2002 Tahoe and it was pretty easy. I had a burnt wire in the harness. I have no DRL's and my headlights are on all the time that the truck is on. I replaced my headlight switch too and got no results from that. The dimmer switch replacement will fix the lights acting up when tilting the wheel though.

So it's not the lever? The mechanic who does my service told me it was. Quoted me over $500 for the part. I checked the local dealer and he was right. The parts guy said the lever comes with the headlight switch as a package. I bought a lever online for $70. The switch is $35 online. Might as well change it since I have it. What's strange is that if I get my hand up under the column and move the wiring harness, the lights go on and off. :thumbs:

Is it difficult to remove the column cover?

Archived