No Sound From Radio

I have been having problems with my stock radio not having any sound. The radio would be on and tuned into a station, just no output from any speakers. Sometimes it would just start to work for a random amount of time. It fully has not worked for the last couple of weeks. I got tired of this and put in an aftermarket cd player. The player works fine in other vehicles. I used the harness adapter, so I did not have to cut any stock wires. The aftermarket player turns on, tunes into a station, but no audio at all. I am wondering if I have a factory amplifier in my 1998 K1500 SLT? If I do, can anyone point me to where it would be. I assume the factory amp may have gone bad, which is why I have no sound from both the stock and aftermarket head unit. Some wiring diagrams I look at show a factory amp.

• 3 weeks later...

you have to love your multimeter. Found out that the stock tweeter in the driver door was bad. I disconnected it and everything worked. Once I tracked that down based on the lack of resistance for that speaker wire, everything worked fine. Thanks for the help.

yep this just happened to my new stereo I installed. One of the speaker wires in the door was grounding out and the radio went into protect mode. Get in the truck and be as quiet as you can and turn the key. Listen very close and if this is the problem you will hear a faint static noise from the problem speaker. Then you can fix the problem. It is nothing major good luck and let us know which speaker it is.

Archived