Diablo Or Superdhips For Mpg

My new 09 Siverado 5.3L 3.42GR is looking for a mod or tuner to improve mpg. Currently averaging 17.2 driving conservatively. What can you reccomend? Is a tuner the way to go? Should I concentrate on CAI or exhaust. What is my biggest bang for the buck. I would like to hear from some members who have REAL experience not just information. :uhoh:

Can't answer to the tuners but if get gas with 10% methanol my milage goes down by that 10% or more. With out spending money possible look at what your running for gas. I have a 2009, 5.3 and 3:42 rear gear and get very close to 18 driving conservativly, maybe a little better in warmer weather. I can pull almost 22 on the highway at 80 MPH.

I try to run shell gas as it seems to work the best for me. I have thought about a tuner my self but the $$$ to buy one buys me alots of gas for the gains i hear they get you of about 1 MPG.

I have a Superchips Flashpaq, I'm currently using their default Performance tune with some individual settings. It does have a Mileage XS setting as in Extra Mileage setting, I'm going to use the mileage tune next time I fill up the tank. :uhoh:

I have a Superchips Flashpaq, I'm currently using their default Performance tune with some individual settings. It does have a Mileage XS setting as in Extra Mileage setting, I'm going to use the mileage tune next time I fill up the tank. :)

Please let us know if your mileage increases.

I have the Diablo on my '07 GMT900. Didn't get it for MPG's, but rather to disable AFM. I've found I have no drop in mileage with AFM disabled. I average around 16 or 17.

So let us know was the Diablo worth the money? What did you accomplish if anything.

I feel it was worth the money. Like I said, I didn't get it for performance or MPG's, I just wanted AFM disabled since I have loud exhaust on my truck. I am just running the canned 87 octane tune and you could tell a slight improvement in driveability but not a lot. If you dial in LTFT's (long term fuel trims) you will notice greater improvements.

If you are considering a hand held tuner, Diablo is definitely the way to go. You can adjust just about anything if you know what you're doing. They have a forum as well where you can ask questions and you will get good responses on just about anything.

The only downfall to Diablo is that they do not offer TCM support right now. They claim they are working on it, but they have said that for a long time now. This isn't a big deal because I really feel no need to adjust shift points or take out any torque management.

You won't gain any MPG using either one. If you are averaging 17.2, you are getting what everybody else is getting... even better than a lot of us.

So your saying any mods would be a waste of time and money, right?

Not necessarily. I love mods. I'm just saying that there aren;t any magic bullet mileage "fixes" for 5000 plus pound trucks running V8 engines. I do believe any mods done for the sake of increasing gas mileage are going to be very disappointing.

You won't gain any MPG using either one. If you are averaging 17.2, you are getting what everybody else is getting... even better than a lot of us.

Not necessarily. I love mods. I'm just saying that there aren;t any magic bullet mileage "fixes" for 5000 plus pound trucks running V8 engines. I do believe any mods done for the sake of increasing gas mileage are going to be very disappointing.

Well said........

Well said........

But if you want it for a nice performance increase, remove most of the throttle delay, its worth the money :)

just a quick note.. i was running a 07 chev avalanche 5.3L and it weighed 5000 and i chg'd exhaust to free flow, added CAI with tube, MAF and picked up about 3 mpg's. i then installed the hypertech programming and after 400 bucks of investment it made no difference in milage what so ever. my brother works for GM and he said those programmers work awesome with diesels but not that good with gas. sure you can adjust a lot of goodies but in the end it may perform better but it wont add milage. so bottom line, at least this mans opinion, it isnt worth the 400+ buck investment UNLESS you want to get a little better performance but not mpg's.

just a quick note.. i was running a 07 chev avalanche 5.3L and it weighed 5000 and i chg'd exhaust to free flow, added CAI with tube, MAF and picked up about 3 mpg's. i then installed the hypertech programming and after 400 bucks of investment it made no difference in milage what so ever. my brother works for GM and he said those programmers work awesome with diesels but not that good with gas. sure you can adjust a lot of goodies but in the end it may perform better but it wont add milage. so bottom line, at least this mans opinion, it isnt worth the 400+ buck investment UNLESS you want to get a little better performance but not mpg's.

Now that is valuable information. Tell us more about your exhaust, CAI and MAF which one gave you the greatest mpg. Specifically what brannds did you install.

just a quick note.. i was running a 07 chev avalanche 5.3L and it weighed 5000 and i chg'd exhaust to free flow, added CAI with tube, MAF and picked up about 3 mpg's. i then installed the hypertech programming and after 400 bucks of investment it made no difference in mileage what so ever. my brother works for GM and he said those programmers work awesome with diesels but not that good with gas. sure you can adjust a lot of goodies but in the end it may perform better but it wont add milage. so bottom line, at least this mans opinion, it isnt worth the 400+ buck investment UNLESS you want to get a little better performance but not mpg's.

Now that is valuable information. Tell us more about your exhaust, CAI and MAF which one gave you the greatest mpg. Specifically what brannds did you install.

Thats virtually unheard of. Not saying it didn't work for you, but not everyone gets the same results. Just an FYI

Archived