Does Diesel Fuel Have A "sell By" Date?

Last summer, before my wife and I headed to Utah with our RV, behind our GMC dmax, I filled up a 5-gallon can with regular #2 diesel fuel, and we took it with us in case we found ourselves far from diesel stations. We did not, and now it has been sitting unused in our garage for nearly a year.

Should I discard it properly, or could I put it in the truck now without risking putting bad fuel or fuel with water in the truck?

The cost is negligible, of course, compared with wrecking the truck!

What's the smart thing to do?

If there is zero water in the container, it will probably be OK. Algae grows where the diesel and water meet and the solids settle to the bottom. You could siphon out 95% and then shine a light into the bottom. Algae will look like brown/black sludge.

• 2 months later...
If there's no junk in the bottom use it. Pour it through a t-shirt if it makes you feel better. If it's scummy I'd still use the top 90% in a salamander heater or something.

If you saw the junk I run thru my 98 12v cummins, you KNOW she would jump for joy seeing year old #2 :noway: BUT... alot of people frown on rmo (recycled m@t@r oil) and don't think my old dodge should still be running with 336k on her!!

As said above, just use the top 3/4 in the tank and start the campfire with the rest!

Archived