Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (rcdlr) / Passlock Ii

I have a EDIT2006 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 2006 Chevy Silverado LS 1500. I want to check to see if I have the ability to use remote key fobs for locking and unlocking the doors.

Here's what I know/have.

I have power windows and locks, factory installed.

Based on the factory VIN the dealer remote locks are not an option. However, I'm not fully convinced. (my gut says it has it.)

A.) where would the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) be located, and what does it look like?

B.) When I power on my truck the security telltale light comes on briefly, and goes out with the rest of the lights.

C.) I know to program the key fob you:

1.)Close all the vehicle doors.

2.)Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.

3.)Press and hold the DOOR unlock switch.

4.)While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.

5.)Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.

6.)Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one keyless remote. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.

7.)Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.

8.)Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.

9.)Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

When I do this on my truck, it seems to go into the programming mode. (I don't care to chance it, and spend $40 for a fob to test but I want to see alternatives methods to make sure it can have it or can't.) Seeing is believing.

Next question Im my manual I'm told All models come standard with PASSLock II theft deterrent system. How can I tell if I have this... my key doesn't have a transponder chip, I got one made at wal*mart and it works... or am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

Thanks in ADVANCE!

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado LT 1500. I want to check to see if I have the ability to use remote key fobs for locking and unlocking the doors.

Here's what I know/have.

I have power windows and locks, factory installed.

Based on the factory VIN the dealer remote locks are not an option. However, I'm not fully convinced. (my gut says it has it.)

A.) where would the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) be located, and what does it look like?

B.) When I power on my truck the security telltale light comes on briefly, and goes out with the rest of the lights.

C.) I know to program the key fob you:

1.)Close all the vehicle doors.

2.)Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.

3.)Press and hold the DOOR unlock switch.

4.)While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.

5.)Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.

6.)Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one keyless remote. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.

7.)Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.

8.)Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.

9.)Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

When I do this on my truck, it seems to go into the programming mode. (I don't care to chance it, and spend $40 for a fob to test but I want to see alternatives methods to make sure it can have it or can't.) Seeing is believing.

Next question Im my manual I'm told All models come standard with PASSLock II theft deterrent system. How can I tell if I have this... my key doesn't have a transponder chip, I got one made at wal*mart and it works... or am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

Thanks in ADVANCE!

GMT800 LT trucks should have it RCDLR on the passenger side of the vehicle (should be in the door). This should help with some clarification:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65729

Passlock II means that if the ignition is not matched with the engine and PCM, it will not start or intermittently start. This has to do with the key but not directly (no chip embedded in the 2006 YM Silverados that I am aware of). Dont have an actual picture, sorry

any "LT" package truck does have remote keyless, you just need remotes.

Thats what my gut and the internet keeps telling me... I've learned that most of the features and devices are there... Some are just disabled by programming... Do you have a picture or PN where I could physically look for the device? Is this why when I call the dealer with my VIN number they are telling me that I don't have the ability to use keyless entry? Because it was never enabled or issued fobs?

and Without posting a new question.... Can someone explain the remote start feature? what needs to be done, is it already installed and needs to be enabled? I'm a IT guy, but truck programming and features is a new hobby to me so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

remote start was not available as a factory option in 2006

if you want to test the remote keyless before buying:

find a friend/ relative with a similar truck. borrow their remote for a few seconds (this won't affect their vehicle), program their remote to your truck. if it works, great. when you program in your new remote that you buy it will erase from memory all other remotes.

if you want to test the remote keyless before buying:

find a friend/ relative with a similar truck. borrow their remote for a few seconds (this won't affect their vehicle), program their remote to your truck. if it works, great. when you program in your new remote that you buy it will erase from memory all other remotes.

Didnt know that, good to know for future reference.

To OP: if you are around the Greater Austin Texas area, I would let you borrow mine...

Thank you! So If I wanted to add remote start I'm looking at an after market kit! I contacted my sales rep, he's got two key fobs waiting for me after work to test. If they work, I'll get em' for a nice cost of nothing!

I know this is redundant, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing... When I hold the unlock button and turn the key on, off, on off, Before I release the unlock button the truck locks and unlocks, horn slightly beeps twice..... After I release the unlock button, approx. 1-3 seconds the door looks will cycle again, horn beeps twice... is this correct?

To OP: if you are around the Greater Austin Texas area, I would let you borrow mine...

lol Thank you for the offer, My mother lives in Dallas, Sister in Tyler, I'm still stuck in KY! (I"m a redneck, IT guy!) RARE! lol. but as stated above, the dealer's gonna let me test.

if you want remote start, it can be done aftermarket, which if you are going to add remote start I'd skip the factory remotes and just install an aftermarket alarm with remote keyless and remote start, which puts all of those functions on one remote.

I know this is redundant, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing... When I hold the unlock button and turn the key on, off, on off, Before I release the unlock button the truck locks and unlocks, horn slightly beeps twice..... After I release the unlock button, approx. 1-3 seconds the door looks will cycle again, horn beeps twice... is this correct?

Yes, No/ Maybe? lol

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado LT 1500. I want to check to see if I have the ability to use remote key fobs for locking and unlocking the doors.

Okay... Added Edit to original post... I mis informed you all... this is a LS series....

Mine is considered an "LS2" trim level and it has it...

Mine is considered an "LS2" trim level and it has it...

Well I got a keyfob from my dealer... they had one laying around.. I can't get it to program.... When I hold the unlock button and turn the key twice.. The horn beeps twice the doors cycle lock, and with in 5 sec. it does the same thing again... I've tried pressing both buttons on the fob between the 5 seconds, and after the doors cycle twice.... nothing happens... I'm going to take my door panel on the passenger side off tomorrow to look for the RCDLR... does any one or can anyone provide a pic of what this looks like?

Archived