Looking at a 1991 K5 Blazer this weekend the one problem that i have is that i was told the cat. is pluged and that its makeing it over heat , will a pluged cat. make the motor boil over ? i know it can make it run hot and like the guy told me the exhuast was so hot he thought it would/could start a fire but will it make the truck over heat and boil over ? thanks for any input you guys can give me !

Looking at a 1991 K5 Blazer this weekend the one problem that i have is that i was told the cat. is pluged and that its makeing it over heat , will a pluged cat. make the motor boil over ? i know it can make it run hot and like the guy told me the exhuast was so hot he thought it would/could start a fire but will it make the truck over heat and boil over ? thanks for any input you guys can give me !

heck yeah. Easiest thing to do is hallow out the cat or put a straight pipe in place of it. I have seen cats glow orange they were so hot. Looked like a light was on under the car :thumbs:

so your saying that its a good chance he is telling the truth and it is the pluged cat. that made it overheat i have seen cats. pluged before and make the exhaust almost glow but haddent seen it make the motor overheat do you think there could be a chance the motor could have been hurt at all by this .

Well didn't get over to check out blazer till mon. the guy started it up and ran pretty good wasn't much exhuast comeing out the tailpipe but there was a good size hole in the muffler so sure that would/could be one reason . as i said it sounded pretty good the one thing that did happen is that when you stepped on the gas hard it would cut out as the guy who is selling it said that was why he said it was the cat. along with the reason the exh. got so hot along with the motor i did stop and talked with a guy at a garage i go to and he said that if it was cutting out like that then more then likely the cat was plugged up pretty good he also said since it was TBI and it cut out like that then would also be a plus that its just the cat. i know it did overheat the few mins it ran but the radaitor did feel pretty hot you could toch it but it was pretty warm , i don't have a comp. tester but might beable to get a pressure tester for the cooling system , what do you guys think ? think i'm pretty safe that its just the cat. or something else ? thanks for the help !

Archived