just curious if anyone insatalled a homemade or brand name x-pipe,'getting ready to do the exhaust onmy yukon 8.1,

not sure yet if the cats are staying or not but i was considering putting a X in after the cats and before the mufflers to help balance the flow from each side

Ron it will help. I did the same thing on my 7.4L. you will notice a lil more torque. After the cats and before the mufflers is where you want them to be. There is a guy on ebay that sells stainless stees x-pipes cheap. Best part is they have a decent size cross sectional area. Hope that helps.

Thanks, i figured it would help..cant hurt. you did and x pipe on your 7.4?

what about the sound quieter or louder< or did the tone just change?

how do you think it will sound with no cats,the X, then 2 16" borla mufflers

It will tone down your sound or minimize drone is a better term. It might be a lil deeper at the tail pipe "mine was" I did the x-pipe on my 7.4L yes. I wouldn't delete the cats as there will be no gain there. After 96 all the cats were hi-flow anyway.

this is x-pipe I have currently i think and it was a noticeable gain. pretty sure that is the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FlowSound-E...sQ5fAccessories

yea no emmisions yet chakis..but soon i hear

and yes mike that is one of the ones i looked at on ebay, So you really think i should leave the cats, ive removed a bunch in the past and noticed a difference, clogged or not.

like now the cats are there and i cut out the oem muffler and just have two pieces of pipe in place,and its quiet almost like with the oem muffler, i figured getting rid of those cats would help get more exhaust out and faster..also get me some more sound, let me know..

I cant hurt to eliminate them...right?

It may not hurt to eliminate the cats but I don't know that you would gain anything either. A street motor even a big block needs some degree of backpressure. The restriction and I do mean the biggest one is the factory muffler. The x-pipe and a good muffler such as a magnaflow or borla will provide what your looking for. The muffler I use is Magnaflow 12468. It has a good tone and you can hear it. It doesn't drone as bad as the 50 Series Flowmaster Big Block muffler I had but it is definitely a noticeable improvement. Its a 2.5 inch dual in and Dual Out. You could use a 2.5 like I have or the 3 inch version which is Magnaflow #12599. Either one is dual in and dual out just diff size pipe. I came out of the muffler and had both pipes exit in the stock location. I went with 2.5 inch in order to help with a lil more torque. The 3 inch would help it more upstairs at higher RPM's. I don't know if the 8.1L's had 2.75 inch pipe or 3 from the factory. You can hear throaty tone of the big block now. Hope that helps.

im gonna try it withthe cats, then x-pipe and 2 16" xr1 race or turbo xl from borla. i know it cost more but i had borla cat back on a 94 ford mustang cobra when i was a kid and it sounded better than any other 5.0 around

Archived