Mod Help: Basic Truck Upgrade/trick Up

hcb

Hello, all, I found the site a few days ago while looking for hacks for my 2010 GMC 1500 Sierra I got a few months ago. I found the pinned article about mods and have ordered some parts to do a couple of the mods (DIC, steering wheel audio controls) but I want to do more...

In short, I bought a base-model truck because that's what I was replacing...but found that the computer could tell me info about the tire pressure and outside temp (freeze warning) so I figured it could tell me more...so the DIC upgrade which works great.

But...it doesn't allow me to program a remote to the system...not that big a deal since the truck doesn't have power locks...but I had hoped the ignition monitor might be accessible with a remote that has the remote start button...but no learning feature in the system for a FOB.

No auto lock on gear change (park). Granted that the thing doesn't have power locks...yet...but I was hoping the computer might have the capacity/capability.

I want to add power locks (and power windows) to the truck...and remote start would be kick butt, both of which would make the remote a useful item at that time. So, does anyone know if the computer has those capabilities but maybe it just needs to be flashed/programmed or would I have to replace the computer to add factory control for power locks/remote start. If you notice, you can crank these trucks and immediately let go of the key...the system monitors the ignition sequence and stops cranking when the engine catches...so remote start should be cake...and possible maybe with a computer update.

I'm trying to keep this brief so I won't ramble on...thank you for any help or input.

--HC

I believe any options, including the ones your interested in (power locks/mirrors and remote start) require certain RPO codes in order for them to be plug and play (with a dealer flash). I would doubt the base truck has the wiring in place to make adding power windows and lock easy. You would probably need switches, wiring, electric motor regulators and door lock actuators. Factory remote start would probably cost more than it was worth. I'm sure someone with more info will chime in soon.

For the record, I'd like factory remote start too.

I have the factory remote start and if you do some searching you will find out it's a gigantic pile. Aside from starting the truck from inside the front door it's completely worthless. I'll be upgrading to an after market soon, do your self a favor and do the same.

I think it would be more trouble + money that it would be worth to try to add the factory options. There are aftermarket solutions for the power windows, door locks and remote keyless that would be much easier to do.

• 3 weeks later...
I believe any options, including the ones your interested in (power locks/mirrors and remote start) require certain RPO codes in order for them to be plug and play (with a dealer flash). I would doubt the base truck has the wiring in place to make adding power windows and lock easy. You would probably need switches, wiring, electric motor regulators and door lock actuators. Factory remote start would probably cost more than it was worth. I'm sure someone with more info will chime in soon.

Hey, SouthCo, thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay (been obsessed with another project).

I figured the wiring would not be there, and certainly not the actuators and other motor/motion pieces. I thought I'd get those from a salvage yard or fleabay or similar. I've done a number of aftermarket remote starts from the Bulldog products to the Vipers so I'm not worried about doing it aftermarket...I just thought it'd be cool if it was a factory thing that was super-simple to activate (there is already ignition monitoring going on...just crank the key for an instant and let off and the truck will complete the ignition sequence...not like the older vehicles where the starter cranked for as long as you hold the key in the start position).

I was hoping someone would reply with some specific info on exactly what the steps were to undertake (like the DIC switch installaitons and other how-to's). Not a big deal, I can always get the factory door panels and switches for windows and locks and use aftermarket actuators...but it'd be cool to do it all "factory".

Thanks for the reply again.

--HC

For the record, I'd like factory remote start too.

I have the factory remote start and if you do some searching you will find out it's a gigantic pile. Aside from starting the truck from inside the front door it's completely worthless. I'll be upgrading to an after market soon, do your self a favor and do the same.

Hey, khancock, I'm not trolling here...really...but why is the factory remote start a POS for starting the truck and nothing else? I had the factory remote start on my 2006 G6 and it worked great...did just that...started remotely. Seems like it did what it said it would. I know some systems have more features (I have a Viper 2-way on my Dodge truck (701VX or something like that))...but it'd be cool if all I had to do was just program a remote to the GMC and be done.

I assume you've used some aftermarket stuff...and I have, as well. I have the Viper in my Dodge which I installed myself (the install shops won't touch a manual transmission with a remote start). I've installed a number of the Bulldog units over the years and been very happy with them. Any recommendations? I love the 2-way features of the Viper but a) it cost me over 300 dollars at that time (9 years ago) and b) the replacement remote costs almost 200 bucks...which I need after I forgot my keys were in my pocket...in my swim trunks...over which I put my scuba gear...the remote has not recovered from being over 60 feet under water. :D

Thanks for the reply.

--HC

I think it would be more trouble + money that it would be worth to try to add the factory options. There are aftermarket solutions for the power windows, door locks and remote keyless that would be much easier to do.

Well, what I was thinking is that since the wiring for the DIC switch was already there...and the capability to show each tire's pressure, oil life, etc., there are probably other capabilities of the system just waiting to be unlocked. This isn't the bygone days of if you didn't get a factory installed 'whatever' the vehicle simply couldn't do it...I mean...each tire's pressure is known and can be displayed by the base-model truck...but it needs a button press to show it...and the button can be installed in minutes because the wiring is already there. So that makes me ask what else can be easily turned on? I know the door lock actuators and window actuators won't physically be there...but maybe the body control unit is wired for them and all I'd need is some door panels and actuators and a wiring harness to make it happen. I bet the BCU can be programmed to a remote. I bet GM (and others) found it's easier and cheaper to make ONE thing and just enable or disable features, so I was thinking some simple scrap yard or fleabay parts and I could put it together like factory. I have a couple of 12v door lock actuators from several years ago, brand new in the box...I have installed window actuator kits that replaced the crank with a pulley drive...I can do all that...but it'd be nice to buy some parts (even if they are expensive) and make the truck a little more like the stuff was factory.

Even if I can't do that with factory parts I will replace the door panels with factory ones and wire in the aftermarket stuff to use them...it can look factory...even if it's not...but first I thought I'd try the easy route.

--HC

Off topic, but the factory remote start does suck pretty bad. My dodge had it and I could start the truck from my wifes 4th floor office at the hospital while the truck was parked in the back of the parking lot. My chevy has trouble starting through the walls of my house unless I'm looking at it out the front door. Several mornings lately I "started the truck" 10 minutes early so it would be warm only to walk outside and see that it never started. Plus the dodge would run a solid 20 minutes without having to push more buttons or touch your nose while standing on one foot. Do yourself and your wallet a favor and get all aftermarket stuff.

no issues here with my remote start does what I need it to do 5-6 times a year.

+1 :D

So you other guys won't even try to use them in this storm? It works for me just fine. I start it just before I pre-heat my Thermos mug and when I climb in the truck it's toasty and my coffee's hot. Great way to start a commute.

On second thought maybe the ones up north might want to stay home. I do feel for y'all. I used to live and work up there and know how bad it can get. Nothing like this storm, though.

God bless y'all and may He keep you safe.

Ted

Hey, SouthCo, thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay (been obsessed with another project).

I figured the wiring would not be there, and certainly not the actuators and other motor/motion pieces. I thought I'd get those from a salvage yard or fleabay or similar. I've done a number of aftermarket remote starts from the Bulldog products to the Vipers so I'm not worried about doing it aftermarket...I just thought it'd be cool if it was a factory thing that was super-simple to activate (there is already ignition monitoring going on...just crank the key for an instant and let off and the truck will complete the ignition sequence...not like the older vehicles where the starter cranked for as long as you hold the key in the start position).

I was hoping someone would reply with some specific info on exactly what the steps were to undertake (like the DIC switch installaitons and other how-to's). Not a big deal, I can always get the factory door panels and switches for windows and locks and use aftermarket actuators...but it'd be cool to do it all "factory".

Thanks for the reply again.

--HC

Here's my take on the factory start (at least the one in my 08)

- Range sucks. I can start it from inside my house but thats it. If we're out to dinner or at my office it doesn't work. basically I need line of site to get it to work and it probably needs to be under 100ft.

- Timing is wayyy to short. It kills the truck after 10 minutes. You can extended it another 10 minutes but you have to use the remote to reset the run time. I'm not sure where you are but 10 minutes doesn't do jack to actually warm up the cab when its 10 and really pointless at -10.

Those are the two things that make it suck for me. I've had after market before and had a viper put into my wife's care for Christmas, here is why I like these solutions:

-Programable run time. The viper I had put in can be set for 12, 24 or 60 minutes of run time.

- Two way remote, tells me the car has started and is running. Has a bunch of other things it will tell me but all I really care about is know the vehicle is running. Also tells you before the run time expires and the car shuts off.

- Range - I think the advertised range is 2000ft but we haven't hit a range with a problem yet.

- Options - You can have a lot of other options to pop trunks, trip relays for accessories, etc... I didn't have any of these put in but it's always nice to have options.

Again I have two real problems with the factory setup. Range sucks and the runtime is far to short for NH winter (and even sometimes summer for AC).

My .02, and it's worth just that.....

Archived