'01 3500 CC D/A

TPN

A local dealer has an '01 Chevy 3500 dually, CC D/A, LT that I'm interested in. It appears to be in excellent condition, is fully loaded, has 37,000 miles, and is available for about $32,000. Whereas this could be my first truck, as well as first diesel, I'm hopeful some of you "seasoned" folks out there could help me with a few questions & perhaps steer me in the right direction;

Is there anything I should be aware of relative to this model year & style???  Any inherent problems or issues??

Is there a significant difference in mpg and maintenance (aside from the obvious 6 tires vs. 4) between a 3500 and a 2500??  I was not looking for a 3500, but since this one is available (and is VERY COOL looking), I'm considering it.

Does $32,000 seem like a reasonable price for this vehicle???

I've also looked at the '03 GMC 2500 CC, D/A, LT. Based on all the current incentives, new is "almost" as attractive as used. For any of you out there that have experience with the new model year, (in your opinion) are the differences significant enough that you would not consider an earlier year model??

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

"Is there anything I should be aware of relative to this model year & style???  Any inherent problems or issues??"

Early 2001's have an airbox issue...they can suck water through the airfilter.  The later "improved" airbox can be fitted to remedy this problem.  If there are two snokles going from the filter box to the fender it is the early design.  On the later design the whole side of the filter box on the passenger side is open...you can reach in and touch the filter without opening the box.

Any other common issues (too much shifting while towing using cruise control comes to mind) can be addressed by an ECM (Engine Control Module) update reflash.  All in all these have been pretty reliable trucks.

"Is there a significant difference in mpg and maintenance (aside from the obvious 6 tires vs. 4) between a 3500 and a 2500??"

Maintenance requirements should be identical.  Fuel consumption will be slightly more for the dually, but the difference will be in the neighborhood of 5-10% (1-2 MPG less for the 3500).

"Does $32,000 seem like a reasonable price for this vehicle???"

I don't know.  It's more than I paid for my truck brand new (see signature).  Go to www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com and spec it out to see if the dealer is right about the price.

"...are the differences significant enough that you would not consider an earlier year model??"

Actually the opposite is true.  The EGR and (I think) catalytic converter on 2003 models makes me prefer the older models.  I also like having an underhood light.  None of the improvements on the new truck have me the least bit interested in trading for an '03.  (Well, dual zone climate control would be nice...)  If you're interested in significant upgrades wait for 2004 when more power and redisigned heads are promissed.

Just my $0.02.

One thing I would tell you to do is drive it. The 1 ton will have a rougher ride, might not bother you if you are going to work the truck. I have had suburbans and big trucks all my short life and still can't drive a dually very well. The back fenders scare the crap out of me when turning i'm afraid i'll rip them off . Your tire cost and rotation and balacing will be a little more but other than that maint. is the same :jester:  

That seems like a pretty good deal. I booked my truck out yesterday (work at a dlr) and it booked trade-in for about $28500 w/ 29k miles.

From the way it sounds, I think you'd be much happier in waiting for a SRW truck to come along.  Since it sounds like this truck will be mostly a daily driver that extra tire hanging off each side is just going to be an aggrevation without any clear cut benefits.  Since this could be your first truck it doesn't sound like you do much heavy towing, certainly not enough to warrent the dually.  

My suggestion, pass on this one, wait for a 2500HD.

Thanks for the responses!!  

COLORADO KID, thanks for the info . . . . the dealer looked cockeyed at me when I referenced the issues you mentioned . . . guess I should refer him to this site for a little education!!

TDMAX, I did go for a test ride, and you are correct about the ride being rougher . . . the front rode well over bumps, but I almost got whiplash when the back got to them. As far as the flares, I agree, they also scared me, especially in the parking lot that I turned around in . . . but probably not as much as I scared the other drivers in the lot . . . it must have been the "wide eyed, holy sh**, is this thing long" look on my face!!!

Jpshostr, you are also correct in that this will be mostly a driver. I do tow occasionally (with wife's Suburban), but nothing that would require a dually. Just seemed like it might be a good deal based on price & availability, as opposed to practicality.

As it stands currently, the dealer is now telling me that the "about $32,000" pricetag is more like $34,000 firm. In light of the revised price, the fact that I was not looking for a dually, plus a lot of your comments, I'm holding off & will bide my time 'til the "right one" comes along. Until then, hope you all don't mind me living vicariously thru you & your trucks!!!

Thanks again!!!

• 1 month later...

A local dealer has an '01 Chevy 3500 dually, CC D/A, LT that I'm interested in. It appears to be in excellent condition, is fully loaded, has 37,000 miles, and is available for about $32,000. Whereas this could be my first truck, as well as first diesel, I'm hopeful some of you "seasoned" folks out there could help me with a few questions & perhaps steer me in the right direction;

Is there anything I should be aware of relative to this model year & style???  Any inherent problems or issues??

Is there a significant difference in mpg and maintenance (aside from the obvious 6 tires vs. 4) between a 3500 and a 2500??  I was not looking for a 3500, but since this one is available (and is VERY COOL looking), I'm considering it.

Does $32,000 seem like a reasonable price for this vehicle???

I've also looked at the '03 GMC 2500 CC, D/A, LT. Based on all the current incentives, new is "almost" as attractive as used. For any of you out there that have experience with the new model year, (in your opinion) are the differences significant enough that you would not consider an earlier year model??

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

My buddy from MA bought an LS 2001 3500 ext cab D/A for 36000. I thought that was a good price. A truck with 37000 miles may be OK, but I would try to find what it was used for and check the repair history from the dealer. Any dealer has access to that.

Good Luck

Larry.

PS. Depending how much you're going to drive it you could get the same truck with the 8.1L engine.

2001 Chev K3500 CC LT, 8.1L Allison Tranny 10000 miles

The '01 3500 is no longer an option for me . . . . . . . much to my surprise (and delight), my wife went out & bought me my dream truck!!!  I'm in love all over again . . . . . and my wife's OK too!!!

The '01 3500 is no longer an option for me . . . . . . . much to my surprise (and delight), my wife went out & bought me my dream truck!!!  I'm in love all over again . . . . . and my wife's OK too!!!

I noticed that in the signature, and as much as most of us here will always say go with more truck than you really currently need, a dually is a wee bit of jump if you've never had a truck before.  Sounds like you got a winner there.  I wish I had gotten an HD if I had more cash in my hands when I got the Rado...4 full doors would be nice, but I love the rig I've got and she's more truck than I really need, but being 6'5 and 235, the ext cab is great.  Merry Christmas- Santa came early :thumb:

Archived