Snowmobiling?

RyanbabZ71

Ok guys please help!!!

I am looking to take a day trip somewhere not to far (illinois/michigan/indiana) to go snowmobiling.  I plan on renting cause i doubt i will be buying a sled anytime soon

Any recommendations?

I don't have a recommendation for ya, but I have heard renting is a sweet deal. I have heard from plenty of friends who go out West sledding in the mountains, that renting is the way to go. They say that you pay a hefty price, but you aren't beating on your own sled, plus they give you another one if it breaks down. Why spend $5-$7K on a sled to drive once a year.

I have one bonehead buddy who is buying a $10,000 sled to go out west one week a year. What a waste.

Just guessing though Ryan, I bet Michigan has better riding areas and more snow.

I would go to the UP of Michigan, or the northwest corner of the LP of Michigan. Lake effect snow is awesome... Much different than what we get. Check http://www.snowtracks.com/michigan/index.htm for more info. Watersmeet, MI is a nice area, Copper Harbor is nice, Silver City is nice, as is the night life in Hurley, WI ":chevy:".... I've ridden up there a few times now, and I'm going back the first week of Feburary. Try to go during the week, the trails are much better. Usually by Saturday, the trails up by Lake Superior get quite beat up. The easter half of the UP is supposed to have good riding too, out by the Marquette area.

Renting sleds can get quite expensive, but is still much cheaper than buying one for a one time trip.  If you're a first time rider, avoid the temptation to get the big CC sleds. Get something small, like an XC 500 Polaris or an Indy Trail. The big sleds can get very dangerous with an inexperienced rider on them. :D

Matt

Archived