Ok, I will upgrading my radio soon, but I am concerned about the reliability of the OGM-1. I am having some concerns about spending over $1000.00 for a system with some many little issues IE,

sound level between the XM volume and GPS volume, proper time after daylight savings time change, XM radio problems..

In my opinion with the OGM-1 it's an above average system and shouldn't be having some of these bugs. Please correct me if I am wrong, I still think the OGM-1 is leaps and bounds ahead of other systems...

Thanks,

I dont think i would call any of those issues reliability issues. In my opinion, the unit is solid, and i have yet to have any issues to even make me consider reconsidering my purchase.

1. XM volume / GPS volume? dont know what you mean, i constantly switch between xm and nav and dont have any issues. XM volume is controlled by the master volume and the GPS volume is controlled in the GPS software and is easily adjusted in two different places. can you be more specific about what your referring to?

2. Adjusting for DST - well yeah thats kind of a pain the ass but really does not bother me as the GPS/Nav time which is what i have displayed 80% of the time is correct. This bothers me very little.

3. XM radio problems? - what problems are you referring to? I have yet to have a problem with my XM. At one point i do recall a thread about folks having problems and i even though i was having the same problem but my issue turned out to be no XM satellite signal so really i have never had a problem yet with XM.

Dont get me wrong, the unit is not perfect, but its way WAY better than what i was previously going to install, a Pioneer AVIC unit. I"m 99.9% happy with my OGM-1 purchase. i just wish the XM channel presets could be scrolled through using the steering wheel buttons just like the FM presets can be.

I also LOVE topics like this, this is what these forums are all about.

The unit is fine. It is just like anything else, the more you jack with it the more problems you are going to have. If you don't want to mess with it you will be just fine. It's a mini computer masked as a radio, a good reboot is always good........if you get it you will enjoy it.

I would be happy if the thinking didnt lock me out of the control every serveral days, maybe a week. I will get in and nothing but the volume controls work. Only way to fix is to reboot/turn off the car.

I have XM problem too every once in a while where the system drags to a crawl. Swichting to a different input and back usually takes care of it.

Have lots of trouble with the BT not connecting probably to my phone but I suspect it may be more the phone that is the problem (ATT Galaxy S2).

But overall it is a very cool device. I am really hoping the new firmware comes out and maybe fix some of the bugs.

Ernie

I can speak only to what our experience with other units has been and what I've seen with the OGM-1: We've now sold 234 OGM-1's and as of today have had a total of six returned for warranty issues (and two of those have been due to SD card reader problems, which I consider to be purely mechanical and almost not even a "problem"). So, we've had about a 2.5% failure rate - for our purposes, that's spectacular, especially when you consider that if/when it fails, they send you a new unit!

When you look at what this unit does and how well it does it, I am AMAZED that the failure rate is that low, to tell you the truth. And when you also consider that as far as I'm aware, Advent is the ONLY manufacturer of OE style units that allows owners to continually update them (and add sources and features), for free, with downloadable firmware updates - this thing rises WAY above every other option that's currently available for these vehicles. Is it perfect? No. But it's getting there...

Consider this: I sold a total of 32 Rosen GM units and have replaced AT LEAST 30-40% of them (and some of them 2-3 times!) We couldn't run away from these units fast enough once the Advent came out...

No BS here at all: To give you an idea of how impressed I am with this deck - I'm planning on buying a 2010 or 2011 Tahoe to replace our 2004 mainly so I can install one of these decks!

I bought one from a forum member and installed it today, the install video on You Tube really made it easy. I haven't had much time to play with it but I really like what I've seen so far. I ran out of daylight today but plan on putting the back-up camera in tomorrow.

Archived