Need some advice on some trouble codes.....

Ok, here is the deal:

Traded the 2009 with 5.3/ auto in for a 2011 Z71 with the same 5.3 auto setup. Kept the Diablo Predator and Volant cold air kit, but had to let the Magnaflow go....

Did the tune first, updated the Predator, played with various tunes, all good. Installed the Volant kit and started throwing trouble codes randomly. P0172 and P0175 system too rich banks 1 and 2. I will clear the codes, and it may come back within 10 miles, or it may be 1,000 miles. Doesn't always show both banks either. Removed tune completely and still get codes.

More to the story on the cold air kit......first installed, the bellows seemed just a bit too short and would pop off occasionally at the air box. Did some fine tuning, loosening everything up and retightening and has not happened since. (about 4,000 miles)

Just got back from a 1,500 mile trip, averaged almost 20 mpg, had to clear the codes 3 times in 2 weeks. Again, varying distances, times between getting a code, always checked everything to be sure it was tight, all clamps in place, etc. During the drive home, got the bright idea that perhaps the MAF sensor could have gotten slightly dirty when the bellows had popped off previously, so I removed it and cleaned with carb cleaner, air dried and reinstalled. Inspected air tube while sensor was out, all nice and clean. Pulled top off of air box, all tight and looked good. Installed the 87 octane tune and Drove it 15 miles and the codes were back!

I am at wits end, would like to hear your thoughts. I am almost certain that this has nothing to do with the tuner, but cannot figure what the culprit could be on the cold air kit. I ran this kit on my last truck for 70,000 miles with no issues at all. I am wondering if spraying carb cleaner around all the connections while it is running might tell me if I have a leak, but all looks tight and clean inside.....maybe just on the edge and I need to do a real tune with Blackbear or something? Not opposed to that, but wouldn't want to do it if not needed and I am just missing something here.....

Please do not spray carb cleaner on the maf while running the truck, you will indefinitely damage the sensor and components, it sounds as though you do have a maf sensor problem, you could go to square one and install all factory components clear the codes, then maybe try removing the batt post for a bit if that works for the newer vehicles to make sure the codes gone, or does the ecu store them? I cant remember.

You are right, I would not spray anything on the MAF sensor, just thought maybe at bellows connections, etc. to see if there might be leaks. Bad part of this, idle is fine. Maybe a small fluctuation once in a while.....100 rpm maybe?

Of course, when you are hunting for the culprit, everything becomes suspect!

Your comment on removing the battery cable, I hadnt thought of that. I assumed that clearing the code removed it.

Ok, here is the deal:

Traded the 2009 with 5.3/ auto in for a 2011 Z71 with the same 5.3 auto setup. Kept the Diablo Predator and Volant cold air kit, but had to let the Magnaflow go....

Did the tune first, updated the Predator, played with various tunes, all good. Installed the Volant kit and started throwing trouble codes randomly. P0172 and P0175 system too rich banks 1 and 2. I will clear the codes, and it may come back within 10 miles, or it may be 1,000 miles. Doesn't always show both banks either. Removed tune completely and still get codes.

More to the story on the cold air kit......first installed, the bellows seemed just a bit too short and would pop off occasionally at the air box. Did some fine tuning, loosening everything up and retightening and has not happened since. (about 4,000 miles)

Just got back from a 1,500 mile trip, averaged almost 20 mpg, had to clear the codes 3 times in 2 weeks. Again, varying distances, times between getting a code, always checked everything to be sure it was tight, all clamps in place, etc. During the drive home, got the bright idea that perhaps the MAF sensor could have gotten slightly dirty when the bellows had popped off previously, so I removed it and cleaned with carb cleaner, air dried and reinstalled. Inspected air tube while sensor was out, all nice and clean. Pulled top off of air box, all tight and looked good. Installed the 87 octane tune and Drove it 15 miles and the codes were back!

I am at wits end, would like to hear your thoughts. I am almost certain that this has nothing to do with the tuner, but cannot figure what the culprit could be on the cold air kit. I ran this kit on my last truck for 70,000 miles with no issues at all. I am wondering if spraying carb cleaner around all the connections while it is running might tell me if I have a leak, but all looks tight and clean inside.....maybe just on the edge and I need to do a real tune with Blackbear or something? Not opposed to that, but wouldn't want to do it if not needed and I am just missing something here.....

You stated you cleaned the MAF with carb cleaner, now you say you didn't do that?

Sorry, didn't make myself clear.......I pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned it with carb cleaner and reinstalled. Should have replied that I would not spray sensor while truck is RUNNING.....

Thanks for pointing that out.

I am thinking that it just must be on the edge of what the stock PCM can handle.....been 1,000 miles with no trouble code, then it popped up last night. Reminds me of de-screening MAF on my Camaro. Mine hated it, threw lean codes until I re-installed, buddies identical car had no issue. I have another Camaro now, already had MAF de-screened....no problem.

I guess live with it or get a custom tune.....

• 1 month later...

Well, just wanted to update on this issue. I installed the Jet Power-Flo mass air flow sensor and throttle body spacer. I don't usually buy into the spacer hype, but figured what the hell....during this time, I also trimmed the intake tube where the bellows attached, as I thought it might be a suspect for a vacuum leak. Hell, I am not sure what accomplished it, but no more codes for the last 2,000 miles. Throttle response is excellent, driveability is great and I am damn happy to have the trouble codes gone! Maybe the computer just needed to learn.......if it's half as stubborn as I am, it is understandable that it took a while.

Cliffs on the mass air flow sensor and spacer, I wouldn't recommend these based on performance or in any way implying that they helped with this situation, but I must say that I am happy with how the truck runs and accelerates.......and with the stock air tube removed, it sounds awesome!

Thanks everyone for your input, I will keep you posted.

Archived