During a run to Wally World earlier this week, I noticed some new gold bottles of Pennzoil on the shelf. A new synthetic blend--says Dexos1 certified on the front of the bottle.

Here is the product link at Pennzoil's website:

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-synthetic-blend-dexos1/

Looks like this is a cheaper 5W-30 alternative to their already-Dexos-certified Ultra and Platinum brands.

Not that there's anything wrong with Pennzoil products (I've run them in many of my vehicles), but they appear to be changing their dexos certified oil program. Pennzoil Platinum has been dexos certified for almost a couple of years, but their new platinum information http://www.epc.shell...01202271148.pdf doesn't say anything about dexos. Also, the new Pennzoil Ultra info http://www.epc.shell...01112051449.pdf shows it to be dexos certified. But the official GM list http://www.gmdexos.c...nsedbrands.html doesn't mention either one.

I'm sure the Pennzoil syn/blend would be fine, but for about the same money (actually less) you can go full synthetic with Quaker State Ultimate Durability...5 quarts for $20.57 at Walmart. Both Pennzoil and Quaker State are Shell owned; Pennzoil and Quaker State have kind of a Chevy/GMC relationship with each other.

qsdexoscloseup-1.jpg

I was wondering about pennzoil platinum my self and after doing some research (emailed shell) and they emailed me back, they confirmed that the only pennzoil product that is dexos approved is that synthetic blend.

I was wondering about pennzoil platinum my self and after doing some research (emailed shell) and they emailed me back, they confirmed that the only pennzoil product that is dexos approved is that synthetic blend.

I hope they get the Ultra certified like the TDS I posted above. Maybe they are waiting for a date, time, etc? Anyway it looks like the most currently easily found dexos oils without going to a dealer are Mobil 1, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, and the Pennzoil syn/blend mentioned. Think I'll stick with my QSUD until hopefully Pennzoil Ultra gets the certification.

I use Mobil 1 currently because my local dealer said they couldn't get the GM dexos 1 in quarts. They said I'd have to bring in a jug if I wanted it because they only have it 55 gallon drums. Does that sound right?

It's my understanding that the GM dexos oil is a Mobil product (a syn/blend) So if you are using Mobil 1, you are probably using a better oil than the GM oil. Mobil 1 certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

I've never been a Quaker State guy, but all the numbers, used oil analysis reports on bobistheoilguy, dexos certification, and the better price have me using it in this truck so far. I said QS and Pennzoil are like Chevy & GMC; I've never owned a GMC either...go figure.

Hmm, very strange. I just bought a 5 quart jug of pennzoil platinum at wal-mart and it had the dexos1 cert on the back. Pennzoil is definitely up to something here. I may have to switch to QSUD or something else next time if they keep this up.

I will not buy any oil that has the gm/dexos label on it simply because GM is collecting a fee per bottle sold. It is a complete conflict of interest on GMs part. You do not need to use oil with the GM/dexos label, you just need to use an oil that meets the spec, and you will find oil that meets the standard, but, is not paying GM for the sticker,

Looks like Pennzoil synthetics are out of the dexos certification business:

http://www.bobistheo...775#Post2597775

Bet I'll have to switch to Mobil 1. If Shell isn't going to pay the licensing fee for Pennzoil, I doubt they'll do it for Quaker State much longer.

Doug_scott I hope you're right about the approved vs "meets spec" because at this rate they'll be nothing left but GM brand dexos oil available exclusively at your friendly dealer before long.

You know what the crazy thing about all this is that I bought 2011 truck last year and no where in the owners manual does it say anything about dexos, and believe me the front of the manual says gmc Sierra 2011, so there is know way anybody (the dealer) could say its the wrong manual. It does say to use oil that is 5w30, meets gm6094m, and displays gasoline engine starburst symbol, nothing about dexos or full synthetic oil, I think ima do the yellow pennzoil bottle and service my engine every 3k. As long as it meets the spec put out by gm in MY owners manual then I'm good.

Archived