3.73 vs 4.10

Just calculated mileage on my work truck today. 2007 one ton, cab and chassis with 4.10 gears. 9.67 MPGs. That is all in town, 50/50 unloaded or pulling a skidsteer. It does the job just fine too.

• 1 month later...

Go with the 4.10s. The MPGs with be very little. The tow rating between the two is at least a thousand pounds I believe. I have two 07 one tons at work with the 6 speed 4.10 combo and they tow trailers very well in town, on interstate I do wish I had the diesel but I drive mostly city streets anyway.

Ditto, I can't remember ever wanting higher gears in my trucks but many times have wished for lower.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little split here. The OP is stating that he will be using the truck 80% for daily driving, and then only towing either a 5,000lb boat or a Max GVWR trailer of 7500lbs. If he is planning on driving on interstates / highways @ 65+mph the 3.73 might serve him better for the 80% of the time he drives the truck. If he was planning on using this strictly as a tow vehicle I would agree to go with the 4.10's. However if I were purchasing new I would be ordering with 4.10's just because I would rather have too much truck than not enough. If your concerned with mileage then you may need to look online for MPG comparison's. I know my truck @ 65 mph gets around 14.5mpg in the summer and 12.5 in the winter. If mileage is not a concern then I would opt for the 4.10's. If you do a lot of city driving the 4.10's may actually help with fuel economy as well.

Just thinking out loud is all.

Jason

Archived