2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 tow capacity help...

Hello my name is Mike and I am new to all of this. I have a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 EXT.Cab Z71 5.3 4spd and a standard box on it. I cannot for the life of me find out what my towing capacity is on the truck. According to the codes in the glovebox nothing matches up with the chart in the manual. Was hoping someone could help point my in the right direction or if you have run into something like this before. Thanks, Mike.

According to the codes in the glovebox nothing matches up with the chart in the manual.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what your saying here. What exactly does your manual state? My manual talks about configuration (crew cab, 4x4, etc) not option codes to find towing capacity. Also for payload capacity there is a sticker inside driver's door frame that states weight you can carry.

Hello my name is Mike and I am new to all of this. I have a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 EXT.Cab Z71 5.3 4spd and a standard box on it. I cannot for the life of me find out what my towing capacity is on the truck. According to the codes in the glovebox nothing matches up with the chart in the manual. Was hoping someone could help point my in the right direction or if you have run into something like this before. Thanks, Mike.

Check the sitcker on your trucks hitch.....I think it's on there.

Couldn't find anything on the hitch. In my manual it says that for a 5.3 with 3.73 gears my towing capacity is 7,500lbs. But then there is the other break downs for ones with the K5L tranny cooling package but dont have 3.73 gearings. A buddy of mine told me to look in my glovebox and do some research on the codes to see what my truck is actually equipped with. Z82 was one of them which is trailer provisions, special equipment HD. I also have KNP which is defined as HD tranny cooling system. Also is says VR4: weight distributing platform hitch which im assuming is just the standard hitch on them? I appreciate your guys help on this. There is also a 90% chance that im just confusing myself.

Archived