Is 11.75 oz too much for wheel weights?

tcalfee

So 3 weeks ago I purchased a set of XD Spy 20" Chrome rims with a +18 offset and wrapped them with 33x12.50x20 Cooper Discoverer STT's. I of course ordered online to save a few extra bucks. Before I purchased the set I spoke with a sales rep on the phone and asked him how much weight he would put on these rims before determining the tire was out of balance. He said 10 oz for my specific setup.

Package showed up today and the rims had the following amounts of stick on weights on them - 11.75 oz, 11, 2.75 & 3. What are all of your opinions for this tire and size? I for one was not happy especially since he originally said no more then 10 oz.

To make matters worse the package arrived without the lug nut kit. :M16:

Sounds like alot to me, but I have close to that or more on a couple of mine. I guess it depends on The ride really. If it rides OK, then it probably will be OK. If it rides rough, call em back and tell em whats up.

Or you could just take it to a reputable shop and have them rebalanced.

Just realised you can actually see some of the weights in my sig. Look closely.

Sounds like a lot of weight to me. Have you tried getting back in touch with the rep to find out why you were sent to with more than 10oz weights (and even that sound like a bit much)?

Yes as soon as they arrived I called to inform them I had no lugs and to speak with the same rep that said they wouldn’t put more than 10oz on. He gave me the run around that they have the best balance machine known to man and that he does not recall telling me they wouldn’t put more than 10oz on. He said they are large big lug low profile mud tires and they put that much weight or more on tires this size and bigger. Then he asked if I had driven on them yet and if they felt smooth and balanced. I said I would but I don’t even have lug nuts to bolt them on yet because you forgot to send them. He had forgotten that 2 minutes ago I told him that!

I have thought about taking them somewhere to have them re-balanced/spun on the rim and I probably will but won’t have the time to do so for another week. I’m just unsure on whom to take them to in my area that has the best equipment.

Thanks for all of the advice, I should have went with my gut and spent a little more to get the tires and rims locally. Stupid me for trying to save a few hundred bucks.

Sometimes its just better to support your local economy, even if its costs a few dollars more. Im all about saving dimes, but sometimes the extra cost up front can save you a little in the long run, and probably a lot of headache.

I had to learn that the hard way (a couple situations like yours).

Find a tire dealer/installer in your area that sells the tires you have. Ask them to check the balance, and if it tests ok, remove the weights, break the tire down, and rotate the tire half turn on the wheel. Rebalance and see what weight it takes now. I would suggest you not tell them you bought the wheels and tires online, maybe come up with a story about how you ended up with the tire/wheels. It will not be free, but, if they want your future business they will work with you.

Worst part is they would have to take off all 11+ oz of weight already on there with the possibility of not making it any better. IDK I may just dirve on them and see how they feel and go from there.

Archived