Ford takes Ram's bait with an empty hook.

LARRY P. VELLEQUETTE

Ford takes Ram's bait with an empty hook

Ford Motor Co. -- whose absolute dominance of the profit-producing pickup segment is now measured in geological terms -- threw a hard elbow at the rival Ram 1500 and its claim of best-in-class 25 mpg highway fuel economy.

The Blue Oval's marketing campaign doesn't mention the Chrysler Group offering by name, but delivers a stiff jab to an area where the Ram 1500 lags the F-150.

"Fuel economy without power is like fishin' without bait," Ford's new print ad ironically exclaims next to a whale-sized empty fishhook.

The ad touts what it says in small letters is the F-150s "best combination of towing and fuel economy" at 11,300 lbs. and 22 mpg highway. I'm not sure what the SAE rule is for adding two categories and comparing the sum. Does it mean a competitor has to add these two numbers and come up with more than 11,322 to beat Ford?

Ford needs to worry more about their F150's catching fire. :rollin:

Could care less about Dodge, but every ford truck I owned had an electrical fire in the dash.

I seriously doubt a F150 gets 22mpg WHILE towing a 11,300lb trailer.

My previous four trucks prior to the Sierra were Ford products. In my experience they NEVER achieved the M.P.G. posted in the window on top of cut rate engineering. I will NEVER buy another Ford truck.

Archived