Omron 12177235 - Autolevel Control Relay

I've bench tested this relay as suggested in other service ride control / compressor / auto ride suspension threads . 12v to 30, ground to 87, the jumper pins 85 to 86 and don't hear a click, so I believe it's bad. (It does nothing)

First question, I found a relay with the number 12177235 on eBay that looks just like this one inside and out, are all relays with this number the same? It has the same diagram underneath where it says Made in Canada, but the number underneath the diagram is different. N4217?

Second, if this switch bad, does it cause the dash to display "service ride control"?

My compressor is good. My exhaust solenoid is good. All my fuses are good. My rear shocks are 4 months old Arnott replacements and don't leak.

I just haven't checked the level sensors in the wheel wells, the resistance on the shocks for 25 ohms, or the ESCM.

I'm surprised to find that Autozone carries this relay for $17.99 ... (part # 19265), but they close in 2 minutes, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

So I guess until it waits until tomorrow to answer my own questions.

• 3 years later...

Yo -

This reply may be a bit over thee years late, but for anyone else seeing it maybe it'll help. Your first sentence says "I've bench tested this relay as suggested in other service ride control / compressor / auto ride suspension threads . 12v to 30, ground to 87, the jumper pins 85 to 86 and don't hear a click, so I believe it's bad. (It does nothing)."

Well, either my GM DVD is screwed all to H... or your description of your (and their) actions is way off base. According to my wiring diagram, the relay pinouts are as follows:

85 - one side of the relay coil

86 - the other side of the relay coil

30 - normally open contact - intended for either +12vdc in (or ground - doesn't matter)

87 - common post for 30 (passthru for 30)

If you applied +12vdc to 30 and a ground to 87, you're lucky that the relay didn't 'pick' - which it wouldn't have anyway. In order to pick the relay, you must apply +12 to one side of the coil and ground to the other side. That energizes the coil and the magnetism then pulls the armature over and closed the contacts 30 & 87.

Had you done the latter, then when the relay did pick, you would have +12 directly shorted to ground - result being either a blown fuse or welded contacts in the relay - ot both. Ain't the way to do it!

Archived