Safety Warning - Tekonsha Prodigy P2 trailer brake system

Not experienced by me but I found this on another site and this needs to be shared....
|
|
\/

For anyone with a pre 2003 GM vehicle, if you are contemplating pulling a trailer with it, and need an electronic brake control, be aware...

GM apparently changed the position of a wire in the convenience center where this brake controller (tekonsha Prodigy P2) connects. If you have the "aftermarket harness" you need to change the position of the red wire.

The result of this mispositioned wire is, when you brake, it does nothing to the trailer brakes. But if it gets dark, the auto sensor that turns the headlights on will also activate the brakes on your trailer!

We'd only pulled our trailer short distances at relatively low speeds twice before last weekend. On the way up to the Fremont contest however, we ran through a pretty bad thunderstorm, and it got dark....AND.....my brakes started activating on the trailer for no apparent reason! I thought it might have been caused by a short. But heard back from the Tekonsha folks today, and they pointed out Tekonsha tech bulletin # TB0012.

Very fortunate this didn't cause a serious issue! In my opinion, they should have drawn attention to it so someone would know without actually experiencing the issue!

• 4 years later...

Archived