Painted Door handles peeling.......2010 Silverdo 1500 LTZ

So, i need some help here. I have a 2010 1500 ext cab LTZ Silverado, which has the painted door handles. My problem, is that i have the black granite color, which is non-existant anymore. The paint is peeling ( started as a bubble ) on the inside portion of the outside door handle on my drivers side. I popped the bubble and peeled the paint off as best I could. I was going to just touch it up with a couple coats of spray touch up, and attempt to build the paint up with a few coats. As I lightly sanded the paint, more and more began to come off. now the peeling area is coming up to the top of the handle and is visible everytime i grab the door handle ( which pisses me off.....i like my toys to be as neat and clean as can be. )

With this being the case, i just assume the paint, no matter what i do, will peel and bubble some more. So, what are my options here? Does GM stock my color and it so, would i be paying through the roof for a gm door handle? Do i even want to mess with their "quality" paint jobs again?

I was thinking about taking the painted handles off and getting a pair of chrome ones. I think the chrome would actully look good with the understated chrome step rails and the chrome lettering thats already on my truck. I dont have a chrome front bumper, so I dont think it would be "too much" chrome. I saw some chrome knock offs on ebay, but not sure of the quality.

My only reservation is taking the inside door panels apart to take the handles off........i dont want to damage anything and all of a sudden have a rattling door bc some tabs or a peice breaks or crack off.

Any tips here?

Thanks guys !!!!

post-74594-0-00544700-1376361612_thumb.jpg

Were these "factory painted"? If so let the dealer's bodyshop do it correctly. I always had good luck with the basic black textured plastic from the low to mid level trucks. Lasted forever. If you really want something upscale, consider the factory GM Acc chromed handles. I realize chrome does not look good everwhere but it does last and there's no flakey paint involved.

Archived