Electrical issues 09 Silverado

Not sure how to start this or where to go with it. Saturday I was out cleaning the interior of my 09 Silverado. I had the doors open for awhile and I'm sure I was pushing buttons as I was wiping things down. I was almost done when I hear a noise like electricity arc'ing. I could hear it coming from the drivers side under the dash and every time I heard it the dome lights dimmed. It was very consistent, like 15-20 seconds apart. So I start the truck, no problem. However the brights won't work. Turn it off, remove + battery cable, open fuse box, pull light fuses all look ok. Re-install and check. Truck starts, brights now work but passenger side windows don't and I no longer hear the sound. Since everything was closed, I removed the + battery cable and left it sit. I was afraid of a fire, but I'm sure it cleared any codes it may have been throwing. I've yet to call the dealer as I was hoping maybe someone else has a simple suggestion to try. Electrical gremlins are the devil, and I can only imagine what the dealer will charge. Truck has 40k on it and this isn't the first issue....SO glad I bought a new truck to avoid repairs.

Not sure if it matters, but the drivers side door actuator needs replacing....there is a large lengthy thread about them but it doesn't feel like that would cause this issue. I'm going to try to get this fixed as a freebie when I take it in even though it is out of warranty.

Hi son in law is a GM service manager, he mentioned a while ago that it's pretty common to have problems with the window controls if they get any fluid in them, there really isn't any seal on them to stop water or other fluid from draining into the switch mechanism, I'd start looking there if I were you

Hi son in law is a GM service manager, he mentioned a while ago that it's pretty common to have problems with the window controls if they get any fluid in them, there really isn't any seal on them to stop water or other fluid from draining into the switch mechanism, I'd start looking there if I were you

Well, that could be part of the issue but they were working 5 minutes earlier. And the cleaning rag I was using was damp not dripping.

I would start by blowing out the window switches with compressed air if you have it or an air duster if you don't.

Also, how's your battery? 4 years old? Has it been cranking slowly lately? I had a similar experience when cleaning out my truck. Had the doors open and the radio on for quite a while. Battery got low and all the electronics went bonkers. The Delco battery that came in the truck lasted 2 years, and the under warranty replacement lasted 2 years as well. I replaced it with a Die Hard AGM battery. To be fair to the Delco batteries, I was bad about leaving my radar detector plugged in and my commute is only 4 miles. The short drives never gave the battery time to recover and it probably spent the majority of its life in a state of partial charge. Maybe try charging the battery. Its worth a shot and doesn't cost anything. If that clears up your problem, then you should probably be thinking about a battery replacement sometime in the near future.

Archived