New Laptop, suggestions.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking from the point of view as a Network Administrator... I've had many laptops over the years, Dell, Lenovo, HP... They are all about the same when you start looking at their professional grade stuff.

Speaking of the professional grade "stuff"... Look for any of the Dell Latitude, Lenovo T series, Dell latitude or Precision series, HP Probook's... These are built better, usually come with a 3 year warranty and dont change models as often so finding parts for them is fairly easy. I wouldnt buy that crap at bestbuy or walmart for a laptop... Simply put, it's just that CRAP. My wife bought me a HP Beats Audio laptop for xmas last year. I've already had the screen replaced in it and Im honestly afraid to touch the damn thing for fear of it breaking.

Go Pro or Go Home

Speaking from the point of view as a Network Administrator... I've had many laptops over the years, Dell, Lenovo, HP... They are all about the same when you start looking at their professional grade stuff.

Speaking of the professional grade "stuff"... Look for any of the Dell Latitude, Lenovo T series, Dell latitude or Precision series, HP Probook's... These are built better, usually come with a 3 year warranty and dont change models as often so finding parts for them is fairly easy. I wouldnt buy that crap at bestbuy or walmart for a laptop... Simply put, it's just that CRAP. My wife bought me a HP Beats Audio laptop for xmas last year. I've already had the screen replaced in it and Im honestly afraid to touch the damn thing for fear of it breaking.

Go Pro or Go Home

Yes you will pay more money, but the thing wont break in a year or two and is built a heck of alot better than most "best buy" craptops. Dont buy on looks, buy on function and features

And as far as specs:
Any i5 or i7 processor ( i5 if you want to get some work done and battery to last, i7 if you have some graphic intense stuff to do )
4-8 gig's of ram

128GIG+ SSD drive
Find something with a LED backlit keyboard ( miss mine )

If you take it with you alot but use it at home too, get something that has a docking station connector on the bottom ( dell, HP and lenovo all do this on their Professional lines )

And as far as specs:

Any i5 or i7 processor ( i5 if you want to get some work done and battery to last, i7 if you have some graphic intense stuff to do )

4-8 gig's of ram

128GIG+ SSD drive

Find something with a LED backlit keyboard ( miss mine )

If you take it with you alot but use it at home too, get something that has a docking station connector on the bottom ( dell, HP and lenovo all do this on their Professional lines )

Thanks man. For all the info that you gave out, my buddy has a Dell Latitude series and his is super nice and tough.

What did you think about the one I posted? and also what you think about Macs? Thought about getting a Mac Air or Pro. But they're just lil more costly.

Thanks man. For all the info that you gave out, my buddy has a Dell Latitude series and his is super nice and tough.

What did you think about the one I posted? and also what you think about Macs? Thought about getting a Mac Air or Pro. But they're just lil more costly.

The inspiron that you posted. Nothing really wrong with it per say, just not a fan of the consumer grade series laptops.

Mac's are great, but keep in mind they are expensive to repair ( if at all ) from what I hear Mac OSX likes to update alot ( but dont they all ).

I would stick with the Latitude series dells if I had to pick out a laptop. Now.... on the other hand My boss has been eye balling the Surface Pro 3 256GB SSD with 8GB of RAM. Some things are just built better than others ( microsoft surface is built rock solid ) But still a consumer grade product ( we'll see how that goes in the end ) I have an older HP Probook ( 4 GB RAM and i3 processor ) runs fine, but lacks in the speed department with multiple windows open.

Lenovo T series ( which is what my wife has ) is an amazing machine. It is currently 2 years old with both kids using and abusing it. The only thing I've had to fix were some busted keys from my son messing with it. It's been dropped, kicked, spilled on ( keyboard has a tray under neath with drain tubes to bottom of laptop ) just some of the engineering that goes along with the pro series of laptops. Lenovo cheaped out on back lit keyboard and just put an LED light up near the camera that faces down towards the keyboard

By far the best machine I ever had was a Dell Latitude a few years ago. i7 with 8 GB RAM and 128 GIG ssd, ran Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V ( Virtual machines running in the background ) for testing and was rugged, fast, reliable and just an amazing machine.

The inspiron that you posted. Nothing really wrong with it per say, just not a fan of the consumer grade series laptops.

Mac's are great, but keep in mind they are expensive to repair ( if at all ) from what I hear Mac OSX likes to update alot ( but dont they all ).

I would stick with the Latitude series dells if I had to pick out a laptop. Now.... on the other hand My boss has been eye balling the Surface Pro 3 256GB SSD with 8GB of RAM. Some things are just built better than others ( microsoft surface is built rock solid ) But still a consumer grade product ( we'll see how that goes in the end ) I have an older HP Probook ( 4 GB RAM and i3 processor ) runs fine, but lacks in the speed department with multiple windows open.

Lenovo T series ( which is what my wife has ) is an amazing machine. It is currently 2 years old with both kids using and abusing it. The only thing I've had to fix were some busted keys from my son messing with it. It's been dropped, kicked, spilled on ( keyboard has a tray under neath with drain tubes to bottom of laptop ) just some of the engineering that goes along with the pro series of laptops. Lenovo cheaped out on back lit keyboard and just put an LED light up near the camera that faces down towards the keyboard

By far the best machine I ever had was a Dell Latitude a few years ago. i7 with 8 GB RAM and 128 GIG ssd, ran Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V ( Virtual machines running in the background ) for testing and was rugged, fast, reliable and just an amazing machine.

Some people thinks that iMacs and/or Apple products are #1. I just never had an iPhone, just don't like em. Too limited. Even most all my friends have iPhones (I really like me Samsung S4) and couple of em have iMacs and they like em a lot. But just more expensive and it'd take awhile to get use to it.

I looked up the HP Probooks and they're more costly then the Lenovo and Dell ones. My dad has a HP, don't know what the model is on it. Hes had it for like 4 years and really likes it.

I do believe Dell on the latitude series have a back-light keyboard, my buddy does. I tried to look em up and can't find any? All I saw was the XPS books, I don't need those. Be too heavy. Was yours a Matte or Glossy screen? and do you prefer Windows 7 or 8? I heard Windows 10 is coming next year sometime.

Well went to my Moms yesterday and I got a new laptop, wasn't expecting that for Christmas.
So, I don't have to worry about buying one now! Even though I wanted a Macbook, they got me a Dell laptop that I like a lot. Even though it has Windows 8.1. Guess I can't be too picky, huh? haha

Archived