New Laptop, suggestions.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will look up the model when I get home. Its a year old now but still performs excellent.

You ever find out?

Windows 8 will be vastly altered. When many enterprise groups won't use it you know you have a problem.

I think it's another MicroSoft mistake.

To the OP-any of the major brands will probably work for you. If you plan on keeping it a long time I would suggest an extended warranty.

I'm going too. Had this one for 6 years.

I rather get a very good laptop, this like I said is on its last life.
Sometimes when I only have 2 tabs open on Firefox, it saw Low Disk
Space, memory & HD this laptop isn't very good.
I think its a 15.4 inch screen, idk for sure.

I want a laptop with least 16-18" screen size, this will a home laptop,
no on the go laptop. I do want Windows 7, no Windows 8. My new budget
plan is at $800-$1000, absolutely no more than that! I plan on keeping
it for least 3-4 years, I want one that lasts. So either gonna be Dell
or Lenovo?

Well in class they rate their laptops in XXX usage. The guys with dells have had longer use. My dell is over 3.5 years old and going strong. It is a dell studio 1751 17.3". I have went to win 8 and now 8.1 with no problems

I'd start by checking slickdeals and seeing what goes on sale and what people post about the laptop in the threads. Also a SSD is a great upgrade for pretty much any PC/laptop, doesn't even have to be a current gen SSD to see gains over a mechanical drive.

• 11 months later...

Is it sad that I still haven't got one yet?
Plus, my Dell actually did die couple of months ago. I think the whole motherboard is wasted.

As for now, using my grandmothers HP laptop, its a lower base model, My Dell was a better laptop then I'm using right now.

I have the dell inspiron 7537. It is all aluminum and looks like a macbook pro. Plus has windows 8 and the touchscreen. For me the must haves when i bought were a 1920x1080 screen, i7, and 10 key built in

Touch is nice and I use it on occasions. But I think this Dell I have is great. It isnt necessarily cheap. Even after CA sales tax I got out for less than $1000. Mine only has 8 GB of ram and the standard 1000 GB HDD with no SSD.

I went with a desktop for about 4,500$. As a pc tech and network tech i have seen many problems with asus. I would stay away. I think dell is best as far as reliability. A laptop will never last as long and perform as well as a desktop.

How many gigs of music, pics, videos do you have? You may want to consider a 60-80 gig SSD for the OS and programs and an external HDD for the pics and music. Mine will turn on cold and boot into windows and open up anything in under 10 seconds. It takes 1,300 watts to power it

Archived