Radio cuts off randomly. Pulled this odd looking fuse and it stopped b

So ever since I got this truck recently the radio cuts off and I replaced the radio with a new one and that didn't help so yesterday I looked at all the fuses while I had the radio on and I decided to roll the window down while lookin around and it cut my radio off so I saw this metal fuse thing and tapped it and it cut my radio off so I pulled it out and the radio is fine and won't cut off

But that fuse controls my power windows so I have to put it back in to roll windows up and down but if I do that my radio cuts in and out

I tried putting a 20amp fuse there instead of the metal one but it blew it soon after rolling the windows up and down

Also the passenger side window is like reversed

When I press down it rolls up and when I press up it rolls down. It's the same on the master switch and the passenger switch.

Here is a pic of the metal fuse thing that's causing the headache

gysy3aba.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is a circuit breaker. You have a problem with that passenger side window. It is causing the breaker to trip. Apparently every time it does it is reseting your radio, like you started your truck. Odd but with the current draw involved, possible.

Guess I should have added: Since the operation of the passenger operates backwards from what it is 'told' to do, it is safe to assume that it is not activating the proper limit switch for whatever direction it thinks it is travelling so the system keeps 'driving' the motor trying to make the limit switch so it knows the window is up or down. Since this can not happen with the motor being driven in the opposite direction, then the system drives the window track against the mechanical stop and the motor starts pulling too many amps and your circuit breaker trips. Once the circuit breaker elements cool/reset then the motor starts the same thing again, pulls too many amps since it is still against the mechanical stop and the breaker trips. Shake and repeat....with your radio power dropping out each time the window circuit pulls too many amps.

Normally I would look in the wiring in the door, thinking that perhaps someone was messing around in there (changing speakers perhaps), knocked a connector apart or off and when they put it back on, reversed it. But after seeing your other posts, I am wondering how much 'work' has been done to this truck. You might want to start with a wiring diagram and work from that.

So I got the window rolling up properly I just looked in the door on window motor and I flipped the two wires around and now it works fine

I had no issues with radio cutting on and off for a few days until I started running my ac on full blast and then it starts acting up. It's like it cuts off how when your batt gets too low or u cut the key off. Also the radio stays on when the key is out the ignition and sometimes won't turn off till I lock the door or open it and shut it again.

It seems to happen when I hit a big bump too I'm wondering if there's a loose or ground wire not secured or something is there any easy way to test for this using a volt meter or any weak points or common ground issues or main grounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDl

Certain years it is not that uncommon to have loose battery cables. Good idea to check all the ground and battery connections you can find on any vehicle with these sort of gremlins.

You could also have a bad/failing battery that has a cell(s) problem and is shorting/dropping out when you hit a bump.

The first thing I had done was take the truck to two diff auto parts stores and have a full computer scan n printout of the battery checking it entirely and the alternator. The battery terminals are super clean and are all making great tight contact. I really believe something is pulling too much load or either it's grounding out or there's a bad relay. I noticed there's a relay under dash near brake pedal to the left that stays hot like temperature hot. That means it's under heavy load. huvy9u2y.jpg

It's one of these on the right side I think the top one but can't remember

Also I noticed the battery does not fill up the battery tray all the way I wonder if it's just not strong enough. It's pushing like 650 cca or ca il have to check specs but when I ran test it was pushing out exactly what it's rated at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Cperkins87

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...