low speed exhaust vibration solved

I bought my new 14 June 28th. When I got the truck it was a dealer swap and had about 300 miles on it. Almost immediately I began to hear what seemed to be an exhaust related vibration. I read the forum about the exhaust valve behind the muffler and clamped the valve open, but that was not my problem as I continued to hear the vibration.

It occurred at low speed after taking off from a traffic light or stop sign while accellerating at around 15-20 mph. I decided to crawl under the truck and take a look at heat shelds, and here's what I found.

There is a heatshield just in front of the muffler:

DSC00123_zps37b66dfa.jpg

About the middle of this heatshield I noticed it was bent upward and was making contact with what it was trying to protect. In the middle of the shield was a small hole (looked like a wear hole)

In this picture you can where I circled where the metal has been crimpled and the hole I mentioned.

DSC00122_zps4e5c3d2f.jpg

To give a little better idea of the location here's one more picture relative to the exhaust hanger in the same area:

DSC00124_zps9b4f6b96.jpg

I don't know if this was a defective part from the factory. If it came about due to road debris (I can't see how it would have gotten a hit hard enough to put a hole in the metal.) If a line worker was having a bad day and gave it a punch, etc. But on the assumption that many are hearing exhaust vibrations check this area. Maybe the same guy had a bad day when he assembled your truck. Regardless now that I pulled this shield away from where it was making contact it is whisper quiet like it is supposed to be.

For what it's worth I thought I'd share.

Archived